Sandwiches are a blissful gastronomic wonder and I so glad they exist. They are my go-to eats when I am too lazy to cook a full-fledged din-din. What concerns me is that not everyone thinks highly of sandwiches. Believe me when I say that sandwiches can be incredibly healthy and can be incorporated in your regular diet in moderation. A open sandwich is a pretty versatile thing. I was having a bunch of baby spinach and I was feeling fancy so I whipped up this delicious spinach toast, which is basically an open sandwich.
Creamy sautéed spinach makes a great topping for toasts. These are loaded with the goodness of spinach and are extraordinarily sumptuous and comforting. Not to mention the enticing fragrance of nutmeg that fills your senses with an urge to dig in right away. An easy to make snack, creamed spinach on toast is filling and nourishing at the same time. Treat your taste buds with it on a laid back weekend afternoon or prepare it for your kids as an evening snack. They would enjoy it thoroughly and have a changed outlook towards the otherwise neglected leafy greens. This one would become a regular among your snack ideas in no time.
The Method of Cooking
This spinach toast recipe is made with bread that has been toasted beforehand so that the topping won’t cause the bread to get soggy and sloppy. Then it’s broiled so that the cheese melts and the topping gets some color.
Here are some really interesting sandwich ideas for you – Best Sandwich Recipes
Now let’s take a look at the ingredients and preparation of spinach toast.
How to Make Spinach Toast Recipe
- Olive oil - 1 tbsp
- Baby Spinach – 2 cups, tightly packed, picked and rinsed
- Butter – 1 tbsp
- Onion – 2 tbsp, finely chopped
- Clove – 1
- Garlic – ½ tbsp, finely chopped
- Salt – to taste
- Black pepper – ½ tsp
- Nutmeg – a pinch
- Lemon zest – ¼ tsp
- Fresh cream – ½ cup
- Cheddar or Mozzarella – 2 tbsp
- Milk powder – 1 tbsp (optional)
- Bread slices – 2
- Butter – as needed
- Cheddar or Mozzarella – 1 tbsp
- Start off by heating olive oil in a heavy bottom pot to make sautéed spinach.Toss in the spinach and sauté it on medium-low heat till it gets just done. Try that the spinach stays green.
- Drain the spinach to get rid of excess water using a sieve. Chop it roughly. Sautéed spinach is ready.
- In another heavy-bottom pot, heat butter and add the clove and onion. Sauté it on medium-low heat to make the onions sweat. Stir often.
- When the onions turn translucent, add the garlic and sauté till its raw smell goes away.
- Add salt, black pepper, nutmeg, and lemon zest. Mix well and sauté for a few seconds.
- Add fresh cream and milk powder. Stir. Bring it to a simmer and let it reduce to half.
- Add in the spinach. Mix well. Turn off the heat and finish it off with cheese of your choice.
- Creamed spinach is ready.
- Toast the bread slices to your liking. And apply some butter.
- Turn the buttered side down, spread the creamed spinach on the slice, garnish with cheese and place it on a baking tray.
- Bake for 7-8 minutes in a preheated oven at 200° C. Then broil for 2 minutes till the cheese gets some color.
- Spinach toast is ready. Cut it in triangles or rectangles.
- Serve the spinach toast hot. Enjoy!
Spinach Toast Recipe with Step by Step Pictures Below
First of all, gather the ingredients for creamed spinach.
Start off by heating 1 tbsp olive oil in a heavy bottom pot to make sautéed spinach.Toss in 2 cups of baby spinach and sauté it on medium-low heat till it gets just done.
The spinach has wilted. Try that the spinach stays green.
Drain the spinach to get rid of excess water using a sieve. Chop it roughly. Sautéed spinach is ready.
In another heavy-bottom pot, heat 1 tbsp butter and add a clove and 2 tbsp finely chopped onion. Sauté it on medium-low heat to make the onions sweat. Stir often.
When the onions turn translucent, add 1/2 tbsp finely chopped garlic and sauté till its raw smell goes away.
Add salt to taste, 1/2 tsp black pepper, a pinch of nutmeg, and 1/4 tsp lemon zest. Mix well and sauté for a few seconds.
Add 1/2 cup fresh cream and 1 tbsp milk powder. Stir. Bring it to a simmer and let it reduce to half.
Add in the spinach. Mix well. Turn off the heat.
Finish it off with 2 tbsp grated cheese of your choice. Creamed spinach is ready.
Toast 2 bread slices to your liking. Apply some butter on them.
Turn the buttered side down, spread as much creamed spinach on the slice as you like, garnish with some grated cheese.
Place the spinach toast on a baking tray.
Bake for 7-8 minutes in a preheated oven at 200° C. Then broil for 2 minutes till the cheese gets some color.
Cut the spinach toast in triangles and rectangles. Serve hot. Enjoy!