bhindi masala recipe | how to make punjabi bhindi masala with step by step pictures
Bhindi masala recipe (भिंडी मसाला रेसिपी) is a spicy preparation of okra or lady’s finger. It is a North Indian style simple bhindi recipe that goes with dal and rice. It also tastes delicious as a side dish for chapati. Check out my step by step recipe to make bhindi masala and I am sure it will be your new family favorite.
The Indian vegetarian fare is very so diverse, you will never run out of varieties of sabzi and curries. There would always be newer combinations of vegetables and healthy yet tasty ways to cook them. Every Indian homemade meal reflects so much simplicity and it is so nourishing for the body. Gobhi ki sabzi, gawar aloo sabzi, French beans ki sabzi, mix vegetable curry are a few such examples.
bhindi masala recipe – simple, uncomplicated, and unique
Coming back to our bhindi masala recipe, let me tell you a bit about the method. After washing the bhindi, wipe it dry. The bhindi is cut into 1-inch pieces for making this sabzi. It is deep fried until it losses its sliminess and cooked through. The masala is prepared with sliced onions and tomatoes; sliced because we don’t want a mush but crispiness of the onions and juicy bits of tomatoes.
The spices used are the very basic ones and in minimal quantities so you can enjoy the real natural taste of the bhindi. I have used Everest Sabzi Masala for this recipe. If you have it, great! If not, use your favorite garam masala instead. It will taste spectacular anyway.
how to make bhindi masala
- Bhindi / Okra - 500 grams, cut into 1-inch pieces
- Oil - to deep-fry the bhindi
- Oil - 2 tbsp
- Onions - 1 & ½ cups, sliced
- Tomato - 1 cup, sliced lengthwise
- Green chilies - 3, slit
- Coriander leaves - a handful, finely chopped
- Salt - to taste
- Red chili powder - 1 tsp
- Coriander powder - 1 tsp
- Turmeric powder - ¼ tsp
- Everest Sabzi Masala - 1 tsp (see notes)
- Cumin seeds - 1 tsp
- Water - 2-3 tbsp
- To make bhindi masala, heat enough oil in a kadhai/fryer. Drop in the bhindi in batches and fry on medium heat until the sliminess it gone and bhindi is cooked through.
- Take it out on the kitchen towel. Fry the remaining bhindi the same way. Bhindi should still be soft and juicy, and not dry.
- To make the masala for the bhindi, heat 2 tbsp oil in another kadhai or pan. Add the cumin seeds and let them sizzle.
- Then add the onions and fry until they turn pink.
- Add the tomatoes and cook for a minute till they soften.
- Add the powdered spices; red chili, coriander, turmeric, and Everest sabzi masala. Give it a quick mix. Add 2-3 tbsp of water at this stage if the mixture looks too dry.
- Add in the bhindi, coriander leaves, and green chilies. Give it a mix.
- Turn the heat to low and let the sabzi cook on low heat for 5 minutes.
- Bhindi masala is ready. Serve it hot with roti and dahi or dal rice. Enjoy!
bhindi masala recipe with step by step pictures below
Gather the ingredients for the bhindi masala recipe. Rinse and wipe the bhindi dry. Cut it into 1-inch pieces.
To start off, heat enough oil in a kadhai/fryer. Drop in the bhindi in batches and fry on medium heat until the sliminess it gone and bhindi is cooked through.
Take it out on the kitchen towel. Fry the remaining bhindi the same way. Bhindi should still be soft and juicy, and not dry.
To make the masala for the bhindi, heat 2 tbsp oil in another kadhai or pan. Add 1 tsp cumin seeds and let them sizzle.
Then add 1 & 1/2 cup sliced onions and fry until they turn pink.
Add 1 cup tomatoes sliced lengthwise and cook for a minute till they soften.
Add the powdered spices; 1 tsp red chili, 1 tsp coriander, 1/4 tsp turmeric, and 1 tsp Everest sabzi masala. If you do not have Everest Sabzi Masala, add 1/2 tsp garam masala instead. Give it a quick mix. Add 2-3 tbsp of water at this stage if the mixture looks too dry.
Finally, add in the fried bhindi, a handful of chopped coriander leaves, and 3 slit green chilies.
Give it a mix. Turn the heat to low and let the sabzi cook on low heat for 5 minutes.
Bhindi masala is ready. Serve it hot with roti and dahi or dal rice. Enjoy!