Paneer sandwich recipe with step by step pictures – a vegetarian sandwich recipe with the filling of paneer sauteed with yellow and red bell peppers.
Vegetarian food forms a major part of an average Indian’s diet and the opulence of meatless recipes is absolutely befuddling. Be it a snack, main recipes, or desserts, you would be spoilt for choice. You would not feel left out just because you are a vegetarian.
Those who have been following my recipes since the beginning, they are a witness to my love affair with sandwiches. Through my endeavor to come up with sandwich ideas that are not only unique but also easy to make, I am trying to make vegetarian food totally awesome for the herbivores out there.
The star ingredient of this Indian sandwich recipe is paneer. Add paneer to anything and I am sold! The paneer sandwich recipe (पनीर सैंडविच रेसिपी) is one of the best Indian sandwiches, hands down.
the potpourri of flavors
There is something very extraordinary about paneer that makes you want to have more of it. It’s soft, melt-in-mouth, and takes in the flavors of other ingredients exceptionally well. I have just used salt and pepper to season the filling and yet the paneer tastes so delicious from the juices of bell peppers that you can eat it as is.
I was feeling a little creative, so I used my Mom’s spring onion spread that she adds to her falafel-stuffed pitas. It works great for sandwiches too and brings in the robustness that perfectly complements the subtle taste of the paneer stuffing.
Sandwiches are my go-to pick when I want to make easy recipes for lunch. If you are looking for lunchbox ideas for your kids, this paneer sandwich is definitely a keeper. Surprise your kids by packing a couple of paneer sandwiches for lunch and the mums of their friends at school would come to you asking for the recipe.
Also, here are some more sandwich ideas that you might want to check out – best sandwich recipes. Some of these are vegetarian sandwich recipes, both Indian and fusion. Other have egg or chicken in them.
how to make paneer sandwich recipe
- Hung curd – ½ cup, chilled
- Spring onion greens – 3 tbsp, chopped
- Green chili – 1 or to taste
- Garlic – 2 cloves
- Lemon zest – ¼ tsp
- Salt – to taste
- Roasted cumin powder – ½ tsp
- Paneer – 200 grams, diced
- Onion - 1 medium, sliced
- Capsicum – 1 medium, sliced
- Red bell pepper – 1 medium, sliced
- Yellow bell pepper – 1 medium, sliced
- Tomato – 1 small, sliced
- Ginger – ½ tbsp, minced
- Garlic – 1 tbsp , minced
- Green chili–1, finely chopped
- Coriander leaves – 2 tbsp
- Salt – to taste
- Black pepper – ¼ tsp
- Oil – 2 tbsp
- Bread slices - 8
- Cheese – ½ cup, grated
- Butter – as needed
- First of all, prepare the spring onion spread, grind together spring onion greens, garlic, and green chili to a paste. Use a spoonful of hung curd to make the paste. Do not use water.
- Combine the ground paste with the lemon zest, cumin powder, hung curd and salt in a bowl. Mix well.Spring onion spread is ready.
- To prepare the filling for the paneer sandwich, heat oil in a skillet and toss in the onions. Sauté them on low heat till they sweat and turn pink.
- Turn the heat to medium and add the ginger, garlic and green chili.Sautétill the raw smell is gone.
- Add the capsicum, yellow and red bell peppers. Sauté the vegetables for a minute.
- Add the tomatoes, salt and black pepper. Cook till the tomatoes begin to soften.
- Add the paneer and toss. Finish with coriander leaves. Paneer filling for sandwiches is ready.
- To make sandwiches, spread butter on both the bread slices. Apply spring onion spread on one slice. Spread the paneer filling on the other slice.
- Pack the sandwich and apply butter on the outer side as well.
- Finally, toast the sandwich on a hot tawa/griddle or in a sandwich maker until golden brown. Prepare the remaining sandwiches the same way.
- Paneer sandwich recipe is ready. Serve hot with some more spring onion spread on the side. Enjoy!
paneer sandwich recipe with step by step pictures below
These are the ingredients that you would need to make the sandwich spread – ½ cup of hung curd, 3 tbsp spring onion greens, 2 cloves of garlic, 1 green chili, ¼ tsp of lemon zest, ½ tsp of roasted cumin powder, and salt to taste.
First of all, combine spring onion greens, garlic, and 1 green chili in a grinder jar.
Use a spoonful of hung curd to make the paste. Do not use water.
Combine the ground paste with 1/4 tsp lemon zest, 1/2 tsp cumin powder, 1/2 cup hung curd and salt to taste in a bowl. Mix well.
Spring onion dip is ready.
Keep the ingredients for the paneer filling handy.
To prepare the filling for the paneer sandwich recipe, heat 2 tbsp oil in a skillet and toss in 1 medium sliced onion. Sauté them on low heat till they sweat and turn pink.
Turn the heat to medium and add 1/2 tbsp minced ginger, 1 tbsp minced garlic and 1 finely chopped green chili. Sauté till the raw smell is gone.
Add the 1 medium capsicum, 1 medium yellow bell pepper and 1 medium red bell pepper, all sliced finely. Sauté them for a minute.
Add a sliced medium tomato, salt to taste and 1/4 tsp black pepper. Cook till the tomatoes begin to soften.
Add 200 grams of diced paneer and toss.
Finish with 2 tbsp coriander leaves.
Filling for the paneer sandwich recipe is ready. Take it out in a bowl.
To make sandwiches, spread butter on one side of both the bread slices.
Apply spring onion spread on one slice. Spread the paneer filling on the other slice.
Pack the sandwich and apply butter on the outer side as well.
Finally, toast the sandwich on a hot tawa/griddle or in a sandwich maker until light brown. Prepare the remaining sandwiches the same way.
Paneer sandwich recipe is ready. Serve hot with some more spring onion spread on the side. Enjoy!