paneer masala recipe with step by step pictures – quick and easy hot and spicy paneer recipe made in onion-tomato base
Paneer masala (पनीर मसाला रेसिपी) is one of my favorite paneer dishes. I prepare paneer masala with roti or naan when I want a meal that is delicious, rich, and that gets ready quickly. Paneer masala is a very easy paneer curry and this one has whole spices in it. The addition of whole spices in paneer dishes is usually kept minimal, however this one is an exception. The liberal use of whole spices lends the paneer masala gravy an irresistible aroma and desirable heat. It tickles your tastebuds like nothing else.
The paneer masala gravy is thick and coats the paneer well. This is a dhaba style paneer masala recipe. Even though the onions are not pureed but chopped, the gravy is smooth because of the cashews. It holds the gravy together and gives it a velvety feel and balances the heat of the spices.
The paneer masala cooking time is very less, which makes it a great dish to prepare when you are short of time. There are no fancy ingredients needed to make this delicious tasting paneer sabji recipe. It is the perfect combination and proportion simple ingredients that makes paneer masala so tempting.
If you are looking for more Indian paneer recipes with step by step pictures, do check out the paneer tikka recipe, malai paneer tikka recipe, dhaba style matar paneer recipe, restaurant style matar paneer recipe, paneer bhurji gravy recipe, and palak paneer recipe.
I have used homemade paneer as always. It’s easier to fry that frozen paneer and the texture is much softer. Here is how to make paneer at home – Homemade paneer recipe.
Now let’s see how to make paneer masala recipe.
how to make paneer masala recipe
- Paneer - 250 grams, cubes
- Onions - 1 & ½ cups, finely chopped
- Fresh pureed tomatoes - 1 cup
- Ginger - 1-inch piece, crushed
- Garlic - 12 cloves, crushed
- Coriander leaves - 2 tbsp
- Kashmiri red chili powder - ½ tbsp
- Coriander powder - ½ tbsp
- Garam masala - ½ tsp
- Roasted cumin powder/jeera powder - 1 tsp
- Salt - to taste
- Kasoori methi - 1 tbsp
- Cashew nuts - 8, finely ground
- Oil - 3 tbsp
- Butter - 2 tbsp
- Water - 1 cup
- Lukewarm water to soak the paneer
- Green cardamoms - 4
- Black cardamoms - 2
- Cinnamon - 1 inch piece
- Bay leaves - 2
- Black peppercorns - 6
- Cloves - 2
- Red chilies - 3
- To make paneer masala, heat oil in a kadhai/pan. Add in the paneer cubes and shallow fry them until golden on all sides.
- Drain the paneer well and transfer it to a bowl of lukewarm water. Let it soak until ready to use.
- In the remaining oil, add in the whole spices and saute them for a few seconds.
- Toss in the onions and saute until golden.
- Then add the ginger and garlic and saute till the raw smell is gone.
- Pour in the freshly pureed tomatoes and saute till the oil separates.
- Time to add the cashew nut powder and ground spices; Kashmiri red chili, garam masala, roasted cumin/jeera powder, and coriander powder. Saute until the spices are fragrant. This will take a couple of minutes. Stir often.
- Add salt, kasoori methi, and half of the coriander leaves. Give it a mix.
- Add water and bring the paneer curry to a boil.
- When the oil separates and the gravy thickens, drain the fried cubes and add them in.
- Finally, garnish with the remaining coriander leaves and butter, and give it a final mix.
- Dhaba style paneer masala recipe is ready. Serve hot with naans or roti, and onion and lemon wedges on the side. Enjoy!
paneer masala recipe with step by step pictures below
To make paneer masala, heat 3 tbsp oil in a kadhai/pan. Add in the 250 grams of paneer cubes.
Shallow fry them until golden on all sides.
Drain the paneer well and transfer it to a bowl of lukewarm water. Let it soak until ready to use.
In the remaining oil, add in the whole spices; 2 bay leaves, 2 black cardamoms, 2 cloves, 3 red chilies, 4 green cardamoms, 6 black peppercorns, and 1-inch stick of cinnamon. Saute them for a few seconds.
Toss in 1 & 1/2 cups finely chopped onions and saute until golden.
Then add 1-inch piece of ginger and 12 cloves of garlic, both finely crushed, and saute till the raw smell is gone.
Pour in 1 cup of freshly pureed tomatoes and saute till the oil separates.
Time to add 8 finely ground cashew nuts and ground spices; 1/2 tbsp Kashmiri red chili, 1/2 tsp garam masala, 1 tsp roasted cumin/jeera powder, and 1/2 tbsp coriander powder. Saute until the spices are fragrant. This will take a couple of minutes. Stir often.
Add salt to taste, 1 tbsp kasoori methi, and 1 tbsp coriander leaves. Give it a mix.
Add 1 cup water and bring the paneer curry to a boil.
When the oil separates and the gravy thickens, drain the fried cubes and add them in.
Finally, garnish with the remaining 1 tbsp coriander leaves and 2 tbsp butter, and give it a final mix.
Dhaba style paneer masala recipe is ready. Serve hot with naans or roti, and onion and lemon wedges on the side. Enjoy!