paneer bhurji recipe | how to make paneer bhurji | dry paneer bhurji recipe
Paneer bhurji is a favorite dish of many vegetarians. Delicate shredded or scrambled paneer is cooked with onions, tomatoes, garlic, and the quintessential Indian spices, garnished with either fresh coriander or kasoori methi, or both.
I had previously shared the recipe of paneer bhurji gravy, which has a cashew based gravy. This is the dry paneer bhurji recipe.
Which is the best paneer bhurji recipe among the two? Well, both are different and unique in their own ways. The paneer bhurji gravy goes well with roti, naan, and toasted bread. The dry paneer bhurji goes well with roti. The taste and texture is different too. And so are the spices that go into making these paneer bhurji recipes.
how to prepare paneer bhurji
The paneer bhurji dry is a very simple recipe to make. I have used homemade paneer. You can used crumbled paneer, or grated paneer.
The sliced onions are sauteed until golden brown, which lends a sweetish taste to the paneer bhurji recipe. Next, the garlic is sauteed and then the tomatoes. The powdered spices used in this paneer bhurj recipe are very basic. Then you add in the paneer and let it get heated through with the spices. Finally, the paneer bhurji is garnished with fresh coriander. Easy as that!
more paneer recipes
If you love paneer as much as I do, you should definitely check out dhaba style matar paneer (my personal favorite), restaurant style matar paneer, palak paneer, paneer tikka, paneer masala, paneer chilli, paneer sandwich, paneer bhurji sandwich.
So now let’s check out the ingredients. Let’s see how to cook paneer bhurji using just a handful of ingredients.
how to make paneer bhurji at home
- Butter - 2 tbsp
- Oil - 1 tsp
- Cumin seeds - ½ tsp
- Malai Paneer - 200 grams, shredded or crumbled
- Onions - 2 medium, thinly sliced
- Tomato - 1 medium, finely chopped
- Garlic - 10 medium sized cloves, minced
- Green chilies - 1, chopped
- Salt - to taste
- Red chili flakes / Everest Kutilal - ½ tbsp or to taste
- Coriander powder - 1 tsp
- Cumin powder - ½ tsp
- Punjabi garam masala - ¼ tsp
- Water - 2-3 tbsp
- Coriander leaves - 2 tbsp, finely chopped
- Combine oil and butter in a pan or kadhai. The oil prevents the butter from burning.
- When the butter is hot enough, add in the cumin seeds and let them sizzle.
- Toss in the sliced onions and saute them until golden.
- Next, add the minced garlic and chopped green chili. Saute until fragrant.
- Now, add the tomato and some salt. Cook until the tomato is soft.
- Now add the spices; red chili flakes/Everest kutilal, coriander powder, cumin powder and Punjabi garam masala.
- Saute for a few seconds. Add 2-3 tbsp of water if the mixture looks too dry to prevent the spices from burning.
- Add the shredded malai paneer and mix well. Adjust the salt if needed.
- Let the paneer get heated through and soak in the flavors. Do not overcook.
- Garnish with fresh coriander leaves and give it a mix. Take it off the heat.
- Paneer bhurji recipe is ready. Serve it hot with rotis and salad. Enjoy!
paneer bhurji recipe with step by step pictures below
Combine 1 tsp oil and 2 tbsp butter in a pan or kadhai. The oil prevents the butter from burning.
When the butter is hot enough, add in 1/2 tsp cumin seeds and let them sizzle.
Toss in 2 medium-sized sliced onions and saute them until golden.
Next, add 10 medium-sized cloves of garlic that have been minced, and 1 chopped green chili. Saute until fragrant.
Now, add 1 medium tomato finely chopped, and some salt. Cook until the tomato is soft.
Now add the spices; 1/2 tbsp (or to taste) red chili flakes or Everest kutilal, 1 tsp coriander powder, 1/2 tsp cumin powder and 1/4 tsp Punjabi garam masala.
Saute for a few seconds. Add 2-3 tbsp of water if the mixture looks too dry to prevent the spices from burning.
Add 200 grams shredded malai paneer and mix well. Adjust the salt if needed.
Let the paneer get heated through and soak in the flavors. Do not overcook.
Garnish with 2 tbsp finely chopped fresh coriander leaves and give it a mix. Take it off the heat.
Paneer bhurji recipe is ready.
Serve it hot with rotis and salad. Enjoy!