Moong dal tadka recipe with step by step pictures – yellow moon dal slow cooked in a handi, garnished with onions and then tempered with spices.
Lentils for an important part of an Indian diet regardless of the region you belong to. Yellow moong dal or the yellow split moong lentils are one of the most common lentil prepared in Indian households. It’s is delicious, naturally flavorful, and very light. It pairs well with both rice and roti. The moong dal tadka recipe (मूंग दाल तड़का रेसिपी) that I sharing today tastes exceptional with poori, which are fried flatbreads.
I have said this before in the Dhaba-Style Dal Tadka Recipe (recipe here) that you have to be generous with the oil and spices if you want to make good dal. This moong dal tadka recipe calls for an abundant sprinkling of spices and oil for tempering. Otherwise, it will taste very bland and plain.
Now let’s take a look at the ingredients and preparation of this super-tempting moong dal tadka recipe.
how to make moong dal tadka recipe
- Moong dal / Split yellow moong lentil - 1 cup, rinsed & drained
- Water - 4 to 5 cups, depending on the dal
- Turmeric - ¼ tsp
- Salt - to taste
- Green chilies - 2, chopped
- Onion - ¼ cup, chopped
- Coriander leaves - 2 tbsp, finely chopped
- Byadgi red chili - 2 tsp
- Regular red chili/ Tikhalal - ½ tsp
- Amchur/Dried mango powder - 1 tsp
- Coriander powder - 2 tsp
- Oil - 3 tbsp
- Cumin seeds - 2 tsp
- Rinse and drain the moong dal.
- Combine the moong dal, turmeric, salt, green chilies, and water in a thick aluminum handi or sipri. Bring it to a boil.
- Turn the heat to low and cover the handi partially so that the broth doesn't boil over. Let the dal simmer until it's done.
- The dal will look grainy. Let it simmer further so that it thickens. It should be thick yet have a pouring consistency.
- Turn the heat off. Garnish the moong dal with onion and coriander leaves.
- Sprinkle byadgi red chili, regular red chili/tikhalal, coriander powder, and amchur/dried mango powder.
- Heat the oil in a pan. Add cumin seeds to it and let them sizzle.
- Pour the tempering over the dal.
- Give it a light mix. Moong dal tadka recipe is ready. Serve hot with pooris.
moong dal tadka recipe with step by step pictures below
Gather the ingredients for making moong dal tadka recipe.
Combine 1 cup yellow moong dal that has been rinsed & drained with 4-5 cups of water depending on how much water your dal needs. in a thick aluminum handi or sipri.
Add in 1/4 tsp turmeric, salt to taste, and 2 chopped green chilies. Bring it to a boil.
Turn the heat to low and cover the handi partially so that the broth doesn’t boil over. Let the dal simmer until it’s done.
The dal will look grainy. Let it simmer further so that it thickens.
It should be thick yet have a pouring consistency. The layer of water over the dal has disappeared completely.
Turn the heat off. Garnish the moong dal with 1/4 cup chopped onions and 2 tbsp finely chopped coriander leaves.
Sprinkle 2 tsp byadgi red chili, 1/2 tsp regular red chili/tikhalal, 2 tsp coriander powder, and 1 tsp amchur/dried mango powder.
Heat 3 tbsp oil in a pan. Add 2 tsp cumin seeds to it and let them sizzle.
Pour the tempering over the dal.
Give it a light mix. Moong dal tadka recipe is ready. Serve hot with pooris.