mixed vegetable curry recipe for rice | mix veg recipe with step by step pictures
Is your husband or kiddo a picky eater who doesn’t like vegetables? Are you looking for delicious ways to get them to eat their daily quota of vegetables? I totally understand where you are coming from. Mix veg recipe (मिक्स वेज रेसिपी होम स्टाइल) is an incredible way to combine the goodness of fresh vegetables. Instead of using the same old spices, this recipe has a mix of two very popular spice blends – Pav Bhaji Masala & Chole Masala. They give a nice twist of taste to the otherwise run of the mill mix veg sabzi.
This particular mix veg curry is my Mom’s recipe has a touch of Sindhi cuisine to it. A lot of Sindhi recipes have caramelized onion as their base for the gravy. I have tweaked the recipe a bit to make it appealing for a larger group of foodies. That’s because the sweetness of caramelized onions lingers on when you use mild spices, which everyone might not appreciate.
I have simply sautéed the onions until they are golden. To enhance the richness of the mix veg gravy, I have added some fresh cream to it. Sautéing the veggies with the spices before pressure cooking is very important. It helps you not only get rid of the raw smell of veggies but also bring out their flavors. It takes a few minutes but the end result is totally worth it. This one pot vegetarian recipe is so good that you will add it to your staples.
If you are looking for a gravy for jeera rice, the mix vegetable recipe would surely delight you.
choosing the vegetables for mix veg recipe
I have tried many combinations of vegetables for the mix veg recipe. The one I have here is by far the best. Try to avoid using hybrid cauliflower. It has a really nasty flavor and smell which can ruin the entire dish. The heirloom cauliflower has a greenish tinge to it and the florets are not as tightly packed as in the hybrid cauliflower.
Although this mix veg recipe is an awesome way to clean your refrigerator, there are some veggies that shouldn’t be used. Capsicum, brinjal, okra, Indian carrots, baby corn, mushrooms; don’t use these veggies as they would alter the entire vibe of the dish.
serving suggestions for mix veg recipe
Mix veg curry pairs well with both chapathi and rice. However, it tastes the best with rice. I highly recommend that you serve it on the bed of long-grain basmati jeera rice with some lemon wedges on the side. The fragrance of basmati rice and delectable aroma of mix vegetable is truly irresistible. It is an ultimate side dish for jeera rice.
more side dish for chapathi
Do check out more side dish recipes for chapathi. Please visit the links down below to see full recipes with step by step photos.
- Sindhi-Style Chicken Curry Recipe
- Punjabi Malai Kofta Recipe
- Palak Paneer Recipe Restaurant-Style
- Paneer Bhurji Recipe
- Bhavnagri Sev Recipe
- Hari Mirchi ka Salan Recipe / Mirchi ki Sabzi Recipe
Now let’s see how to make this quick and easy mix veg recipe with step by step photos.
how to make mix vegetable recipe
- Onions - 2 medium, finely chopped
- Tomato – 1 medium, finely chopped
- Garlic – 12 cloves, finely crushed
- Ginger – 1- inch piece
- Green chilies – 2, chopped
- Assorted vegetables – 4 cups (cauliflower, cabbage, peas, French beans, English carrot, potatoes & sweet corn)
- Banana peppers - 2, sliced
- Paneer/Indian cottage cheese – 100 grams
- Pav Bhaji Masala – 1 tsp
- Chole masala – ½ tsp
- Red chili powder (byadgi) – 1 tsp
- Turmeric – ¼ tsp
- Coriander powder – 1 tsp
- Garam masala – ¼ tsp
- Salt – to taste
- Water – ½ cup
- Cumin seeds – ¾ tsp
- Oil – 3 tbsp
- Cilantro – a handful, finely chopped
- Fresh cream – 2 tbsp
- Kasoori methi – ½ tbsp
- Lemon juice – 1 tsp or to taste
- Preheat a pressure cooker, add the oil to it. Add cumin seeds and let them crackle.
- Toss in the onion and sauté until golden.
- Add the ginger and garlic and sauté till the raw smell goes away.
- Now add the tomato. Cook until it turns mushy and oil begins to separate.
- Add salt and turmeric. Mix.
- Add the assorted veggies and banana peppers. Sauté the veggies for 3-4 minutes.
- Then add the remaining spices; pav bhaji masala, chole masala, red chili powder (byadgi), and coriander powder. Saute for another 2-3 minutes, sprinkling some water every now and then.
- Add ½ cup water and mix. Close the pressure cooker and cook for 2 whistles.
- Let the pressure releases on its own. Switch the stove back on. Let the residual moisture evaporate until oil begins to separate again.
- Add paneer. Cook for another minute.
- Then finish with kasoori methi, garam masala, coriander leaves, green chilies, fresh cream, and lemon juice. Give it a final mix.
- Mix veg recipe is ready. Serve hot with rice. Enjoy!
home-style mix vegetable recipe with step by step pictures
Prepare the ingredients for the mix veg recipe. You will need 2 medium onions finely chopped, 1 medium tomato finely chopped, 12 cloves of garlic finely crushed, 1-inch piece of ginger finely crushed, 2 green chilies chopped, a handful of coriander leaves finely chopped, 100 grams paneer, 2 banana peppers sliced, 4 cups assorted vegetables (cauliflower, cabbage, peas, French beans, English carrot, potatoes & sweet corn).
Spices – ¾ tsp cumin seeds, 1 tsp red chili powder (byadgi), 1 tsp coriander powder, ¼ turmeric powder, ¼ tsp garam masala, 1 tsp pav bhaji masala, and ½ tsp chole masala; Some salt to taste, 3 tbsp oil, ½ tbsp kasoori methi (lightly roasted and crushed between palms), 2 tbsp fresh cream, lemon juice 1 tsp or to taste.
Preheat a pressure cooker, add the oil to it. Add cumin seeds and let them crackle.
Toss in the onion and sauté until golden.
Add the ginger and garlic and sauté till the raw smell goes away.
Now add the tomato. Cook until it turns mushy and oil begins to separate.
Add salt and turmeric. Mix.
Add the assorted veggies and banana peppers. Sauté for 3-4 minutes. Sprinkle some water if the mixture looks too dry.
Add the remaining spices; pav bhaji masala, chole masala, red chili powder (byadgi), and coriander powder. Sauté the veggies with the spices for another 2-3 minutes.
Sprinkle some water every now and then to avoid burning the spices. It helps bring out the flavors of the veggies.
Add ½ cup water and mix. Close the pressure cooker and cook for 2 whistles.
Let the pressure releases on its own. Switch the stove back on. Let the residual moisture evaporate until oil begins to separate again.
Add paneer. Cook for another minute.
Then finish with kasoori methi, coriander leaves, green chilies, fresh cream, and lemon juice. Give it a final mix.
Mix veg recipe is ready. Serve hot with rice. Enjoy!