matar pulao recipe | recipe for spicy matar pulao | matar pulao ki recipe
Matar pulao or peas pulao is a fragrant and wholesome rice dish. It has sweetish undertones from the sliced onions and fresh peas. They are so much better than the frozen ones. It has plenty of whole spices that would make the matar pulao so aromatic. The fragrance of the basmati rice adds to it.
Winters are the best time of the year because it brings along the bounty of fresh seasonal vegetables. Peas or matar are everyone’s favorite. Using fresh peas to make aloo matar, matar paratha, and matar pulao takes the taste up by several notches. So now is the time to try this amazing, spicy, flavourful matar pulao recipe.
how to prepare matar pulao
Matar pulao is a very easy dish to put together. It is a one pot meal that you can make for lunch or dinner. I like to make it in a handi. That way the rice comes out just perfect every single time, very fluffy and the grains are separated. You may make matar pulao in pressure cooker as well if you like.
First of all, you heat the ghee and add in the whole spices. Once they are puffed up, in go the sliced onions. Sliced onions give a sweetish tinge when they are fried to golden brown. Then the usual, ginger, garlic, and tomatoes. So that’s basically the base of this pulao.
Next, you add the peas and cook them until they soften a bit. The ground spices are the usual ones; turmeric, coriander, red chili. I have used the whole spices sparingly because I have used Everest Shahi Biryani Masala, which has bits of whole spices as well.
Finally, add the rice and saute it some more. Add hot water and salt and cook until the rice is done. A handful of fresh coriander for garnish, green chilies and some fried raisins to finish it off. Done! You have a wonderful pulao that is a meal in itself ready in under an hour.
If you do not have Everest Shahi Biryani Masala, double the amount of whole spices, also add 2 bay leaves. And add 1/4 tsp of garam masala powder for fragrance.
If you are looking for more rice recipes, here is a collection of delicious recipes with step by step pictures – Best Indian Rice Recipes.
Now let’s take a look at the matar pulao ingredients and the how to make it.
how to make spicy matar pulao recipe
- Basmati rice - 1 & ½ cups, soaked for 20 minutes
- Onions - 2 medium, thinly sliced
- Tomatoes - 2 medium, pureed
- Garlic - 12 medium cloves, crushed
- Ginger - 1 inch piece, crushed
- Green chilies - 2, slit
- Fresh peas - 2 & ½ cups
- Coriander leaves - a handful
- Ghee - 2 tbsp + ½ tbsp for frying the raisins
- Turmeric powder - ¼ tsp
- Red chili powder - 1 tsp
- Coriander powder - ½ tbsp
- Everest Shahi Biryani Masala - 1 tbsp
- Salt - to taste
- Hot water - 3 & ½ cups
- Raisins / Kishmish - ¼ cup
- Caraway seeds / Shahi jeera - ½ tsp
- Black cardamom - 1
- Green cardamom - 4
- Cinnamon - 1 inch piece
- Black peppercorns - 8
- Cloves - 2
- To make spicy matar pulao, melt 2 tbsp ghee in a heavy base handi or pot. Once hot, add in the whole spices.
- Once the spices puff up, add in the onions. Saute until golden.
- Add the crushed ginger and garlic. Saute until the raw smell goes away.
- Add in the pureed tomatoes. Saute until oil begins to separate.
- Add in the matar/peas and some salt. Mix. Cover and cook on low heat for 5-7 minutes so that the peas would soften a bit.
- Now add in the ground spices; turmeric, red chili, coriander leaves, and Everest Shahi Biryani Masala. Mix and saute for a minute.
- Drain the soaked rice and add it into the masala.
- Saute the rice gently with the spices for 1-2 minutes.
- Add hot water and adjust the salt.
- Bring the pulao to a boil.
- When most of the water is absorbed and you begin seeing holes on the top of the rice, turn the heat to low. Cover the handi with a tight-fitting lid.
- Cook the matar pulao for 8-10 minutes, then turn off the heat. Let the pulao rest for 10 minutes on dum.
- In the meanwhile, heat ½ tbsp ghee in another pan. Add in the raisins and fry them for a few seconds until they are golden and puffed up.
- Uncover the handi.
- Gently fluff the rice with the back of the spoon. Add in the fried raisins, green chilies and fresh coriander.
- Mix gently. Matar pulao recipe is ready.
- Serve the matar pulao hot with raita, salad, and papad. Enjoy!
matar pulao recipe with step by step pictures below
To make spicy matar pulao, melt 2 tbsp ghee in a heavy base handi or pot. Once hot, add in the whole spices; 1-inch piece of cinnamon, 4 green cardamoms, 1 black cardamoms, 8 black peppercorns, 2 cloves, and 1/2 tsp caraway seeds/shahi jeera.
Once the spices puff up, add in 2 medium, finely sliced onions. Saute until golden.
Add 1/2 inch crushed ginger and 12 medium-sized cloves of garlic. Saute until the raw smell goes away.
Add in 2 medium-sized pureed tomatoes. Saute until oil begins to separate.
Add in 2 & 1/2 cup matar/ fresh green peas and some salt. Mix. Cover and cook on low heat for 5-7 minutes so that the peas would soften a bit.
Now add in the ground spices; 1/4 tsp turmeric, 1 tsp red chili, 1/2 tbsp coriander leaves, and 1 tbsp Everest Shahi Biryani Masala. Mix and saute for a minute.
Add the 1 & 1/2 cups basmati rice that had been rinsed, soaked for 20 minutes, and drained.
Saute the rice gently with the spices for 1-2 minutes.
Add 3 & 1/2 cups hot water.
Adjust the salt.
Bring the pulao to a boil.
When most of the water is absorbed and you begin seeing holes on the top of the rice, turn the heat to low. Cover the handi with a tight-fitting lid.
Cook the matar pulao for 8-10 minutes, then turn off the heat. Let the pulao rest for 10 minutes on dum.
In the meanwhile, heat 1/2 tbsp ghee in another pan. Add in 1/4 cup raisins.
Fry the raisins for a few seconds until they are golden and puffed up.
Uncover the handi.
Gently fluff the rice with the back of the spoon. Add in the fried raisins, 2 slit green chilies, and a handful of finely chopped fresh coriander.
Mix gently. Matar pulao recipe is ready.
Serve the matar pulao hot with raita, salad, and papad. Enjoy!