Split Bengal Gram Fritters –Savory, Crispy & Filling
It’s been few hours you had your lunch and there is still plenty of time before dinner. You end up snacking on unhealthy foods that have no nutritional value; just empty calories. And the next thing you know, you are drowning yourself in guilt for feeding yourself unwholesome food that has been making you gain weight. How many times have we been through this? A lot of times, it seems. But what if I told you there were more snack ideas than you think that are actually healthy? Today I am sharing the recipe of lentil fritters | chana dal vada with a hope to help you expand your snack options.
These lentil fritters | chana dal vada have the wholesomeness of split Bengal gram, amazing flavors of onions and cilantro and crispy texture that leave you wanting for more. These fritters are deep-fried but trust me when I say that they do not absorb a lot of oil. Besides, fats are good for you if you do not go overboard. A snack with protein, lentil fritters present a perfect combination of all the macro-nutrients. Lentil fritters are one of the much-loved snack items on my Indian snack list.
A Good Snack Recipe for Every Occasion – Entertaining Guests, Picnic, Snack for School
It would also prove to be a great addition to your snack tray ideas for guests. You could serve them with green chutney, cilantro mayo or just ketchup. They would taste divine along with some masala chai too. Try this Indian snacks for evening on a weekend and I am sure your family is going to love it. Also, if you are looking for tiffin recipes for school, these lentil fritters should do great because they taste really nice even after cooling down. If you fry them right, they won’t go soggy or bland at all.
How to Make Savory Lentil Fritters
- Split Bengal gram/Chana dal – 1 cup, soaked for 12 hours in 3 cups of water
- Onions – 2 medium, finely chopped
- Green chilies – 3, finely chopped
- Asafetida/Hing – ⅛ tsp
- Ginger - 2-inch piece, finely crushed
- Garlic – 10 cloves, finely crushed
- Coriander leaves – ½ cup, finely chopped
- Curry leaves – 10, finely chopped
- Salt – to taste
- Cumin seeds – 1 tsp
- Fennel seeds – 1 tsp
- Oil – for deep-frying
- Drain and grind the soaked chana dal without using any water to a slightly coarse mixture.
- Take the ground dal in a bowl and add the remaining ingredients to it, except the oil. Mix well.
- Heat sufficient oil in a skillet to deep-fry the vadas/fritters. Carefully drop the batter in the hot oil using a teaspoon to make ½-inch sized vadas. Do not overcrowd the skillet.
- Fry on low to medium heat. When the underside of the vadas look firm, carefully flip the vadas.
- Fry the vadas till they turn golden brown and crunchy, flipping them occasionally. Drain the vadas and remove them onto a paper towel.
- Hot chana dal vadas/fritters are ready. Serve hot with green chutney. Enjoy!
Chana Dal Vadas Recipe with Step by Step Pictures Below
First of all, chop the onions, green chilies, coriander leaves, and curry leaves. Also, crush the ginger and garlic finely in a mortar and pestle.
Drain the 1 cup chana dal that had been soaked overnight and put it into a grinder jar.
Grind it without using any water to a slightly coarse mixture.
Take the ground dal in a bowl and add the remaining ingredients to it, except the oil. – 2 medium finely chopped onions, 3 finely chopped green chilies, finely crushed 2-inch piece of ginger, finely crushed 10 cloves of garlic, 1/2 cup finely chopped coriander leaves, 10 finely chopped curry leaves, 1 tsp cumin seeds, 1 tsp fennel seeds, 1/8 tsp asafoetida, and salt to taste.
Heat sufficient oil in a skillet to deep-fry the vadas/fritters. Carefully drop the batter in the hot oil using a teaspoon to make 1/2-inch sized vadas. Do not overcrowd the skillet.
Fry on low to medium heat. When the underside of the vadas look firm, carefully flip the vadas.
fry the vadas till they turn golden brown and crunchy, flipping them occasionally. Drain the vadas and remove them onto a paper towel.
Hot chana dal vadas/fritters are ready. Serve hot with green chutney. Enjoy!