kuzhi paniyaram recipe with step by step pictures – soft and delicious paniyarams made with idli batter
Paniyarams are shallow-fried dumplings made with fermented rice and black lentil batter. Some communities also add sabudana/sago pearls to the paniyaram batter. This specific version of paniyaram recipe is not exactly the traditional one. Nevertheless, it’s incredibly good. It is made using the leftover idli batter. The idli batter I make has boiled rice and skinned urad dal in the ratio of 3:1. This is by far the best idli batter that yields softest idlis and very spongy paniyarams. Paniyarams is a healthy breakfast snack and a perfect South Indian tiffin recipe. This one is the savory kuzhi paniyaram recipe with step by step pictures. They are soft and fluffy on the inside and crispy on the outside.
serving suggestions for kuzhi paniyaram recipe
Kuzhi paniyarams have simple and delicate flavors of asafoetida, fresh coconut and curry leaves. The onion bits and chana dal lend a very interesting texture to the paniyarams. Chutneys are ideal kuzhi paniyaram side dish. You can pair them with onion-tomato chutney, coriander chutney or white coconut-sesame chutney. They taste best when served hot. But their taste doesn’t change even after several hours, which makes them perfect for your kid’s lunch box. If you have leftover idli batter and don’t wish to make any idlis, making kuzhi paniyarams in a great way to use it. In Maharashtra, paniyarams are also called appam or appe.
the paniyaram chatti or paniyaram pan for making paniyaram recipe
Paniyarams are made in kuzhi paniyaram pan, also known as paniyaram chatti or appam patra. It has round cavities into which you pour the paniyaram batter. You can easily find a high-quality, non-stick paniyaram pan online between the price range of INR 500-INR 2000. It depends on what brand you buy and the number of cavities. The one with 7 cavities works great if you have a stove with a small burner. The 12-cavity pan yields good paniyarams if it is used on a larger burner. There are cast iron appe pans available as well, but you would need to use plenty of oil for roasting the paniyarams. Now let’s begin with the kuzhi paniyaram recipe with step by step photos.
how to make kuzhi paniyaram
- Oil – 3 tbsp
- Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
- Asafoetida – ¼ tsp
- Chana dal/Split bengal gram – 2 tsp
- Onion – 1 large, finely chopped
- Green chilies – 3 or to taste, finely chopped
- Curry leaves – 20, chopped
- Fresh coconut – ½ cup, scraped
- Coriander leaves – 4 tbsp, finely chopped
- Sugar – 1 tsp
- Salt – to taste
- Idli batter – 2 and ½ cups (Recipe here)
- Oil – as needed, to cook the paniyarams
- To make the masala, heat oil in a pan or skillet and add the mustard seeds. Let it splutter and add the asafoetida.
- Add the chana dal and sauté it on low flame till it turns golden.
- Add the onions. Sauté them till they turn pink.
- Add curry leaves and green chilies and sauté them till they give out a nice fragrance.
- Turn off the heat. Add the fresh coconut. Season the mixture with some salt. Mix well. Allow it to cool.
- Take idli batter in a bowl.Combine it with the masala mixture, and chopped coriander leaves. Adjust the salt at this stage.
- Add some sugar. Mix well. Kuzhi Paniyaram batter recipe is ready.
- Heat the paniyarampan. Add ¼tsp oil in each cavity.
- Add a tablespoonful of batter in each cavity, or more if need be. Let the paniyarams cook on medium heat till they get golden on the underside but are still unset on the top.
- Carefully flip the paniyarams using a knife and a spoon.
- Allow them to cook and get a golden color on the other side too.
- Take them out of the paniyaram pan onto a plate.
- Paniyaram recipe is ready. Serve hot with your favorite chutney. Enjoy!
kuzhi paniyaram recipe with step by step pictures below
Prepare the ingredients for the recipe
To make the masala, heat 3 tbsp oil in a pan or skillet and add 1 tsp mustard seeds. Let it splutter and add 1/4 tsp asafoetida.
Add 2 tsp chana dal and sauté it on low flame till it turns golden.
Add 1 large finely, chopped onion. Sauté till it turns pink.
Add 20 curry leaves and 3 green chilies, both finely chopped. Sauté them till they give out a nice fragrance.
Turn off the heat. Add 1/2 cup scraped fresh coconut. Season the mixture with some salt. Mix well. Allow it to cool.
Take 2 and 1/2 cups idli batter in a bowl.Combine it with the masala mixture, and 4 tbsp of chopped coriander leaves. Adjust the salt at this stage.
Add 1 tsp sugar. Mix well. Kuzhi Paniyaram batter recipe is ready.
Heat the paniyaram pan. Add 1/4 tsp oil in each cavity.
Add a tablespoonful of batter in each cavity, or more if need be. Let the paniyarams cook on medium heat till they get golden on the underside but are still unset on the top.
Carefully flip the paniyarams using a knife and a spoon.
Allow them to cook and get a golden color on the other side too.
Paniyaram recipe is ready. Serve hot with your favorite chutney. Enjoy!