Jaljeera recipe (जलजीरा रेसिपी) with step by step photos, jaljeera is a cooking summer drink from north India. If you analyse the name, jal means water and jeera means cumin, and so jaljeera literally means cumin water. However, there is much more than just that to the jaljeera drink.
Jaljeera drink is served as appetizer as well because it is great for the digestive system. Its cooling properties make it an ideal summer drink; a great thirst quencher. It has an earthy fragrance and a tangy and spicy taste.
It gets the vibrant green color from mint and fresh coriander, the tang from the lemon juice and dried mango powder, and the spices like pepper, cumin, dried ginger add such a zing to it. The pungency from the black salt hits the spot.
How to Make Jaljeera
Jaljeera is a very light and easy to make drink. The herbs, seasoning, and spices are ground together to a puree. The puree is diluted with chilled water. Adding boondi as a garnish lends an interesting texture to the jaljeera recipe. An occasional crunch from the boondi as you sip on a glass of chilled jaljeera.
Now let’s take a look at the jaljeera ingredients and method of preparation.
how to make jaljeera
- Coriander leaves - ½ cup
- Mint leaves - ½ cup
- Black salt - 1 tsp
- Salt - to taste
- Asafetida / hing - 2 pinches
- Black peppercorns - 1 tsp
- Roasted cumin powder / bhuna jeera powder - ½ tbsp
- Dried mango powder / amchur - 1 tsp
- Dried ginger powder / saunth - 1 tsp
- Sugar - ½ tbsp
- Juice of two medium-sized lemons
- Chilled water - 4 cups
- Boondi - ¼ cup, for garnish
- Combine all the ingredients to make the jaljeera except the water and boondi in a blender.
- Add just a little water and grind everything to a smooth puree.
- Transfer the jaljeera puree to a jug.
- Add the remaining water to the puree and stir well with a bar spoon. If you like your jaljeera milder, add a little more water.
- Pour the jaljeera into the glasses.
- Garnish each glass with a tablespoon of boondi. Add more boondi if you like.
- Serve immediately. Enjoy!
jaljeera recipe with step by step pictures below
Gather the ingredients for making the jaljeera recipe.
Combine 1/2 cup coriander leaves, 1/2 cup mint leaves, 1 tsp black salt, salt to taste, 2 pinches of asafetida/hing, 1 tsp black peppercorns, 1/2 tbsp roasted cumin powder, 1 tsp dried mango powder/amchur, dried ginger powder/saunth, 1/2 tbsp sugar, and juice of two medium-sized lemons.
Add just a little water and grind everything to a smooth puree.
Transfer the jaljeera puree to a jug.
Add 4 cups of chilled water to the puree and stir well with a bar spoon. If you like your jaljeera milder, add a little more water.
Pour the jaljeera into the glasses.
Garnish each glass with a tablespoon of boondi. Add more boondi if you like.
Serve immediately. Enjoy!