indori poha recipe with step by step pictures | how to make indori poha
Breakfast is my favorite meal of the day. Being a food lover that I am, I love waking up to the prospect of enjoying something healthy and delicious before I start my day. It’s strange that my mind has been anticipating about the endless possibilities since I am the one who cooks breakfast. But still, I get excited anyway.
So in my post of Jeeravan Masala (जीरावन मसाला) recipe, I had mentioned my recent trip to Indore and how fascinating the street called Chhappan Dukan (छप्पन दुकान ) is. I got the very first taste of the famous Indori Poha (इंदौरी पोहा) which I had been hearing a lot about. Believe me when I say that it was worth all the hype.
Indori Poha is amazing; it’s light and has a lavish list of garnishing ingredients. The ritual of serving poha with jalebi is prevalent in Indore as it is in a North-Indian city of Kanpur. The poha jalebi duo is absolutely unconquerable. All the breakfast places near me had people flocking them while returning from work to enjoy snacks with their colleagues and friends. It was an endearing sight; watching people’s faces lighten up as they tasted the very first morsel of the food that they probably relished every day.
the best indori poha recipe
The Indori folks love their Namkeen. Life of an Indori would come to a standstill should Ratlami sev (रतलामी सेव) and charkhi nukti (चरखी नुक्ती) cease to exist. For the uninitiated, charkhi nukti is savory boondi (बूंदी); tiny, crispy, fried pearls of chickpea batter sprinkled with salt and red chili. Also, Poha in English is called beaten rice or rice flakes.
So, the Indori Poha recipe is less about actual cooking as it’s about assembly. A simple, aromatic tempering is what the Poha needs. You fix a platter by adorning hot poha with jeeravan masala, sev, boondi, onions, pomegranate, some grated carrot, and a squeeze of lime or lemon. Serve it with garma garam jalebi and it’s a party in your mouth! It’s safe to say that Indori Poha has made it’s way to the list of my favorite brekfast dishes.
You can check out the jeeravan masala recipe here. It’s a really simple recipe and no store-bought jeeravan masala comes close to it. If you love poha for breakfast and for a light dinner just like I do, check out my other delicious poha recipes.
- Maharashtrian style Kanda Batata Poha that has onions and potatoes in it. It’s really filling and super easy to fix.
- Dadpe pohe is a fusion between the Maharashtrian and the Karnataki cuisines. The poha isn’t actually cooked, but just tempered with sandgi mirchi and the usual cumin seeds, mustard seeds, and curry leaves.
- Veg poha recipe gives a healthy twist to your regular poha with seasonal veggies like green peas and carrots.
Here a funny thing. A pop song called DJ Wale Babu by Badshah feat. Aastha had released a couple of years ago. It got so popular because of its upbeat music, eccentric lyrics, and over the top grandeur that many YouTubers made a parody of it. One of the parodies was beyond hilarious. A YouTuber who goes by the name Rajiv Nema from Indore created a parody that pays a tribute to the iconic Indori Poha. It got stuck in my head so tight that I was determined to take a trip to Indore.
Now let’s see how to make this colorful, beautiful, and easy breakfast recipe that is Indori Poha.
How to Make Indori Poha – A Vegetarian Breakfast Recipe
- Poha/Beaten rice flakes – 2 & ½ cups, thick variety
- Oil – 2 tbsp
- Cumin seeds – ½ tsp
- Mustard seeds – ½ tsp
- Fennel seeds/Saunf – 1 tsp
- Asafetida/Hing – ¼ tsp
- Turmeric powder – ½ tsp
- Salt – to taste
- Sugar – 1 tbsp
- Green chilies – 2, chopped
- Jeeravan Masala (Recipe here)
- Lal teekha sev or Ratlami sev
- Teekhi boondi/Charkhi Nukti
- Nylon sev
- Chopped onion
- Chopped cilantro/Coriander leaves
- Grated carrot
- Lemon juice
- Take poha in a colander or a large sieve. Rinse it gently with drinking water. Let it stand for a few minutes so that the excess water would drain.
- In the meanwhile, prepare the tempering for poha by heating 2 tbsp oil in a skillet. Toss in the mustard seeds. Once they splutter, toss in the cumin seeds and let them sizzle.
- Add the asafetida and then saunf/fennel seeds. Sauté for a few seconds.
- Add the green chilies.
- Finally, add the poha, salt, sugar, and turmeric.
- Mix well.
- Cover and cook for 5 minutes on low heat. The color of the turmeric will darken.
- Poha is ready. Serve it hot onto a plate. Sprinkle a generous amount of jeeravan (Recipe here). Garnish with teekhi boondi/charkha nukti, teekha sev, onion and pomegranate. Squeeze some lemon juice to taste. Indori Poha is ready. Enjoy!
indori poha recipe with step by step pictures below
Gather the ingredients for Indori Poha. For tempering, you will need ½ tsp cumin seeds, ½ tsp mustard seeds, 1 tsp fennel seeds/saunf, ¼ tsp asafetida, 2 green chilies finely chopped, and 2 tbsp oil. For seasoning, you will need salt to tsaet, ½ tsp turmeric powder and 1 tbsp sugar.
For garnish, finely chop some onion, and fresh cilantro/coriander leaves, and grate some carrot. You will need jeeravan masala, lemon juice, and pomegranate.
Some namkeen such as teekha sev, teekhi boondi/charkha nukti, nylon sev is indispensable for garnishing the Indori Poha.
Take 2 & ½ cups thick poha/dagdi poha in a colander or a large sieve. Rinse it gently with drinking water. Let it stand for a few minutes so that the excess water would drain.
In the meanwhile, prepare the tempering for poha by heating 2 tbsp oil in a skillet. Toss in the mustard seeds. Once they splutter, toss in the cumin seeds and let them sizzle.
Add the asafetida and then saunf/fennel seeds. Sauté for a few seconds.
Add the green chilies. Sauté for a few seconds until aromatic.
Finally, add the poha, salt, sugar, and turmeric.
Cover and cook for 5 minutes on low heat. The color of the turmeric will darken.
Poha is ready. Serve it hot onto a plate. Sprinkle a generous amount of jeeravan masala (Recipe here). Garnish with teekhi boondi/charkha nukti, teekha sev, onion and pomegranate. Squeeze some lemon juice to taste. Indori Poha is ready. Enjoy!