gujarati khichdi recipe with step by step pictures | gujarati kadhi khichdi recipe | panchmel khichdi recipe
Gujarati kadhi khichdi – a simple and nutritious meal, which you can make for lunch or dinner when you want to eat something light.
Gujarati khichdi is very comforting and suited for people of all ages. Traditionally, it is served with Gujarati kadhi and a a dollop of ghee. The sweetish notes of he kadhi pair really well with the khichdi. Gujarati kadhi khichdi is my go to meal on busy weeknights or lazy weekends when I don’t feel like spending much time in the kitchen. A meal like this also ensures you eat healthy.
Gujarati kadhi-khichdi served with ghee, papad, pickle, and salad – what more can one ask for! It’s a slice of heavenly comfort right there on your plate. Here is the recipe for the Gujarati Kadhi.
healthy gujarati khichdi recipe
This one is also called as Panchmel Khichdi because it is made with five kinds of grains; rice and four lentils (dal). The rice to lentils ratio is 1:1. The mix dals adds to the nutrition value of the khichdi.
The lentils lend a very prominent taste to the khichdi. The ghee and asafetida / hing bring in the aroma. Since khichdi is supposed to be soft and a little bit mushy, the addition of groundnuts adds a nice crunch to it. This is not the most basic khichdi recipe because it has onions, and ginger, garlic.
I have made this Gujarati khichdi recipe in pressure cooker. You can make it in instapot as well.
how to make basic khichdi
To make basic khichdi, skip the spices. Just use any moong dal (either green or yellow), rice, turmeric, and salt to make the khichdi. Add an extra cup of water to make softer khichdi, if you like.
You can give this basic, soft khichdi to babies who are about to start eating solid foods. It is also good for elderly people and for those who are unwell.
Looking for more rice recipes? Here is a collection of mouthwatering pulas, biryanis, fried rice, and khichdis – best indian rice recipes
Now let’s see how to make the gujarati khichdi. Let’s take a look at the gujarati khichdi ingredients.
how to make gujarati khichdi recipe
- Rice - ¾ cup
- Yellow moong dal - 3 tbsp
- Green moong dal - 3 tbsp
- Chana dal - 3 tbsp
- Masoor dal - 3 tbsp
- Ghee - 2 tbsp
- Cumin seeds - ½ tsp
- Hing/asafetida - ⅛ tsp
- Turmeric - ¼ tsp
- Onions - ½ cup, thinly sliced
- Curry leaves - 1 sprig
- Green chilies - 1, finely chopped
- Ginger - ½ inch piece, finely crushed
- Garlic - 8 medium cloves, finely crushed
- Groundnuts - 2 tbsp
- Salt - to taste
- Water - 4 & ½ cups
- Coriander leaves - a handful
- Combine rice and all the dals in a bowl. Rinse them and soak them in just enough water for about 30 minutes.
- To make the gujarati khichdi, heat ghee in a pressure cooker. Add cumin seeds and let them sizzle. Add the asafetida/hing and let it sizzle too.
- Next, add the green chilies and curry leaves. Saute for a few seconds until fragrant.
- Toss in the sliced onions and saute until they soften.
- Add the crushed ginger and garlic. Saute them so that the raw smell goes away.
- Now, add the groundnuts and turmeric. Mix.
- Add in the soaked dal and rice. Saute them with the masala for 1-2 minutes, Sprinkle some water if they stick to the bottom of the pressure cooker.
- Finally, add the water.
- Add some salt to taste.
- Close the pressure cooker. Once the pressure builds up, turn the heat to medium and cook the khichdi for 3-4 whistles. Turn off the flame.
- Once the pressure releases, open the cooker.
- Garnish the khichdi with fresh coriander leaves and give it a gentle mix.
- Gujarati khichdi is ready. Serve it hot with gujarati kadhi, papad and a dollop of ghee.
gujarati khichdi recipe with step by step pictures
Combine in a bowl 3/4 cups rice and 3 tbsp each of masoor dal, chana dal, yellow moong dal, and green moong dal.
Rinse them and soak them in just enough water for about 30 minutes.
The rice and dal have absorbed the water and puffed up. They will take less time to cook.
To make the gujarati khichdi, heat 2 tbsp ghee in a pressure cooker. Add 1/2 tsp cumin seeds and let them sizzle. Add 1/8 tsp asafetida/hing and let it sizzle too.
Next, add a finely chopped green chili and a sprig of curry leaves. Saute for a few seconds until fragrant.
Toss in 1/2 cup sliced onions and saute until they soften.
Add finely crushed 1/2 inch piece of ginger and 8 medium cloves of garlic. Saute them so that the raw smell goes away.
Now, add 2 tbsp groundnuts and 1/4 turmeric. Mix.
Add in the soaked dal and rice.
Saute them with the masala for 1-2 minutes. Sprinkle some water if they stick to the bottom of the pressure cooker.
Finally, add 4 & 1/2 cups of water.
Add some salt to taste.
Close the pressure cooker. Once the pressure builds up, turn the heat to medium and cook the khichdi for 3-4 whistles. Turn off the flame.
Once the pressure releases, open the cooker.
Garnish the khichdi with a handful of finely chopped coriander leaves and give it a gentle mix.
Gujarati khichdi is ready. Serve it hot with gujarati kadhi, papad and a dollop of ghee.