Green Beans Sabzi Recipe | How to Make French Beans Sabzi for Roti
French beans are a favorite at my place. We just cannot get enough of it’s beautiful fresh flavor and crisp texture. I love coming up with newer recipes to prepare French beans. Be it veg biryani, or fried rice, French beans lend a very unique aroma to the dish and it sort of feels incomplete if you leave it out. Today I am sharing a fusion recipe. Beans poriyal is a South-Indian style sauteed french beans sabzi recipe (फ्रेंच बीन्स सब्ज़ी रेसिपी). It calls for scraped or grated fresh coconut. I have replaced the fresh coconut with ground roasted peanuts to make it more appealing for my family, who like peanuts better than coconut.
Peanuts add a Maharashtrian twist to this french beans ki sabzi. It’s just like beans poriyal but without coconut. The tempering ingredients are same too. French beans sabzi (फ्रेंच बीन्स सब्ज़ी) definitely goes well with roti, it tastes great with dal-rice. Now let’s see how to make this fusion green beans sabzi.
How to Make Maharashtrian Style French Beans Sabzi Recipe
- French beans - 300 grams, chopped into 1 cm pieces
- Oil - 2 tbsp
- Mustard seeds - ½ tsp
- White urad dal - ½ tbsp
- Whole dried red chilies - 2
- Turmeric - ¼ tsp
- Asafetida - ⅛ tsp
- Onions - 3 medium, finely chopped
- Curry leaves - 8 to 10 leaves
- Green chilies - 2, chopped
- Coriander leaves - 2 tbsp, finely chopped
- Roasted & ground peanuts - 3 to 4 tbsp
- Salt - to taste
- Heat oil in a pan. Add in the mustard seeds and let them splutter. Then add asafoetida and let it sizzle.
- Toss in the white urad dal and saute it on low heat until it turns golden.
- Add the whole dried red chilies and curry leaves and saute until fragrant.
- Add the onions and saute until they turn pink.
- Add the french beans, salt, and turmeric powder. Mix well.
- Cover the pan with a shallow lid and pour ½ cup water on the lid.
- Cook the french beans until they are tender but still have a crunch.
- Uncover the pan. If there us any excess moisture, dry it up by turning the heat up.
- Add the ground roasted peanuts. Mix well.
- Garnish with coriander leaves.
- Maharashtrian style French beans sabzi recipe is ready. Serve hot with rotis or dal rice. Enjoy!
Maharashtrian Style French Beans Sabzi Recipe with Step by Step Pictures Below
Gather the ingredients for making green beans sabzi.
Heat 2 tbsp oil in a pan. Add in 1/2 tsp mustard seeds and let them splutter. Then add 1/8 tsp asafoetida and let it sizzle.
Toss in 1/2 tbsp white urad dal and saute it on low heat until it turns golden.
Add 2 whole dried red chilies and 8-10 curry leaves and saute until fragrant.
Add 3 medium onions finely chopped onions and saute until they turn pink.
Add 300 grams french beans that has been cut into 1 cm bits, 2 chopped green chilies, some salt, and 1/4 tsp turmeric powder.
Cover the pan with a shallow lid and pour 1/2 cup water on the lid. Let the beans cook until they are tender. However, they should retain their crunch.
Uncover the pan. If there us any excess moisture, dry it up by turning the heat up.
Add 3-4 tbsp ground roasted peanuts. Mix well.
Garnish with 2 tbsp finely chopped coriander leaves.
Maharashtrian style French beans sabzi recipe is ready. Serve hot with rotis or dal rice. Enjoy!