easy egg curry recipe with step by step pictures | egg recipes
Egg curry recipes are a good change when you are bored of eating vegetables. They are easy to make and very satisfying. This is a simple egg curry recipe that has a thin, broth-like consistency, which is why some would like to call it anda rassa. It’s slightly tangy from the tomatoes and hot from the green chilies and has a fresh aroma from the coriander leaves. The best part is, this egg curry gets ready in under 20 minutes because it is made in pressure cooker.
There are days when you are short on time or ingredients but still want to prepare a wholesome meal with your family. You can enjoy this soupy egg curry by ladling it over some hot steamed rice or dunk roti or plain paratha into it to soak up the flavorful broth. Some onion slices on the side and you have yourself an incredibly simple yet comforting meal.
I had previously shared the recipe of Maharashtrian-Style Saoji Egg Curry; do check it out if you like spicy egg curry. Now let’s see how to make this yummy egg curry recipe.
egg curry ingredients
The ingredients for this egg curry recipe are very basic and you will find them in your kitchen at all times. Firstly, the eggs. Next, the aromatics and herbs such as garlic, green chilies, and lots of fresh coriander. You will need some ripe and juicy tomatoes.
For the ground spices, just the basic ones, red chili, turmeric, coriander and Everest Chicken Masala. Some salt to season the egg curry and water to make the broth. That’s it!
I have been using Byadgi red chili powder. It is less spicy and full of flavors. If you don’t have it, use the regular red chili, but in smaller amount because it is hotter than byadgi. You can always adjust the amount of chilies, both green and red, to suit your preference.
how to prepare egg curry
For making this simple egg curry recipe, you will need to do very little preparation. First of all, boil the eggs, peel them, and slit them partially 3-4 times.To make the green masala by finely crushing together in mortar and pestle the garlic, green chilies, and fresh coriander. Chop some juicy, red, ripe tomatoes. Lay out the ground spices.
The tempering has cumin and the green masala. Then go in the tomato with the ground spices. Saute, saute, saute! And then add water and pressure-cook the broth. Finally, add in the boiled eggs into the broth and simmer for a while. Simple and easy egg curry is ready within minutes.
serving the egg curry recipe
This delicious egg curry goes well with anything; roti, paratha, bhakri, and rice. Personally, I like to make this egg curry recipe for rice and I do so quite often if I want a light meal. Roti and paratha absorb the broth and its flavours really well too.
how to make egg curry recipe
- Boiled eggs - 6 to 8
- Tomatoes - 1 cup, finely chopped
- Green chilies - 4
- Coriander leaves - a handful
- Garlic - 8 cloves, medium size
- Cumin seeds - 1 tsp
- Salt - to taste
- Turmeric powder - ¼ tsp
- Byadgi red chili powder - 1 tbsp
- Coriander powder - ½ tbsp
- Everest chicken masala - ½ tbsp
- Oil - 2 tbsp
- Water - 4 cups
- To make the egg curry recipe, start off by pounding together the garlic, green chilies, and coriander leaves in the mortar and pestle. The mixture is coarse but uniform.
- Heat oil in the pressure cooker. Add in the cumin seeds. Once they sizzle, add the ground mixture of garlic, green chilies, and coriander leaves. Saute on low heat until the raw smell is gone and the mixture is fragrant.
- Next, toss in the tomatoes and sprinkle some salt. Cook until the tomatoes are mushy and oil begins to separate.
- Then add the ground spices; turmeric, byadgi red chili, coriander, and Everest chicken masala. Saute for a minute.
- Add water and adjust the salt. Pressure cook the broth for 4 whistles. Turn the heat off.
- When the pressure releases on it's own, open the pressure cooker. Turn the heat back on and bring the broth to a boil.
- Make vertical slits in boiled eggs and add them to the curry. Let the curry simmer for 2-3 minutes.
- Simple egg curry recipe is ready. Serve it hot with rice or roti with some onion slices and lemon wedges on the side. Enjoy!
egg curry recipe with step by step pictures
Gather the ingredients for making egg curry recipe.
To make the egg curry recipe, start off by pounding together 8 cloves of garlic, 4 green chilies, and a handful of coriander leaves. in the mortar and pestle. The mixture is coarse but uniform.
Heat 2 tbsp oil in the pressure cooker. Add in 1 tsp of cumin seeds. Once they sizzle, add the ground mixture of garlic, green chilies, and coriander leaves. Saute on low heat until the raw smell is gone and the mixture is fragrant.
Next, toss in 1 cup of finely chopped tomatoes and sprinkle some salt. Cook until the tomatoes are mushy and oil begins to separate.
Then add the ground spices; 1/4 tsp turmeric, 1 tbsp byadgi red chili, 1/2 tbsp coriander, and 1/2 tbsp Everest chicken masala. Saute for a minute.
The spices are fragrant and oil is separating again.
Add 4 cups water and adjust the salt. If you want a thicker broth, add less water.
Pressure cook the broth for 4 whistles. Turn the heat off.
When the pressure releases on it’s own, open the pressure cooker. Turn the heat back on and bring the broth or rassa to a boil.
Make vertical slits in boiled eggs and add them to the curry. Add 6 to 8 eggs depending on the number of people you are cooking for. Usually, 2 eggs per person suffices but you may definitely add more eggs if you like. Let the curry simmer for 2-3 minutes.
Simple egg curry recipe is ready. Serve it hot with rice or roti with some onion slices and lemon wedges on the side. Enjoy!