egg bhurji recipe – street style | how to make dhaba style anda bhurji
Egg bhurji (एग भुर्जी), or anda bhurji as it is more popularly known, is an Indian scrambled eggs recipe. Indian egg bhurji recipe is spicy and flavorful; a humble yet delicious treat for the taste-buds. This is the street-style egg bhurji recipe that you get at the dhabas or roadside food stalls. They call this version as ‘kachi pakki bhurji’ because it’s not cooked until the eggs go dry. The eggs are cooked slowly over low heat which is why the bhurji turns out juicy, soft and fluffy. Anda bhurji (अंडा भुर्जी) pairs perfectly with dinner rolls or pav that have been toasted with butter.
what’s so special about the dhaba style egg bhurji recipe?
Street-style egg bhurji recipe has plenty of onions in it, which lends it a subtle sweetness. The onions have very different texture too. They are cooked only for a couple of minutes and they have a bite. But they also lose their pungency because they have been chopped and let stay for an hour. That’s how the street-side vendors do it. They chop the onions and tomatoes in bulk, combine them and keep on using them as they get orders for anda bhurji. It is a thing that’s easy to miss but makes a world of difference to the recipe.
I like to keep the bowl of onions uncovered. Make sure it doesn’t attract any flies. If it does, cover the bowl for your safety. Again, don’t skimp on the onions.
cooking technique to get fluffy egg bhurji
Needless to say, anda bhurji is an extremely easy egg recipe. But it takes some exposition to get it perfectly right. First off, don’t add any salt to the eggs or whisk the eggs. Add the salt to the egg bhurji masala. Then break the eggs directly into the pan. That reminds me! Use a pan, a wide one. Do not use kadhai to make this egg bhurji recipe. It won’t yield the same results. Have you noticed, the bhurji pav (भुर्जी पाव) vendors either use a pan or a huge iron tawa/griddle to make ande ki bhurji (अंडे की भुर्जी). The larger surface area facilitates even cooking.
Now let’s talk about the heat. High heat is bad for eggs. Your egg bhurji recipe will have an undesirable smell if you cook the eggs on high heat. Turning the heat off before adding the eggs in the egg bhurji masala helps. You have to cook the eggs on and off the heat. It takes longer for the eggs to come together but the wait is worth the outcome.
choosing the spices and oil for the egg bhurji recipe
Even though the spices are used very sparingly, it matters a lot what kind of spices go into making the ande ki bhurji. For red chili powder, I highly recommend the byadgi variety. That’s because it is less hot but more flavorful. For garam masala, I have used Suhana brand’s Shahi Garam Masala. It will yield the best street-style taste to your egg bhurji recipe.
Since the egg bhurji recipe has very little spices, it is important that you use a flavorless oil such as the sunflower oil. Using oils that have a flavor would mask the flavors of the spices.
If you are looking for more street food recipes, check out the links given down below.
Now let’s take a look at the ingredients and preparation of the egg bhurji recipe with step by step pictures.
how to make egg bhurji recipe
- Eggs - 8
- Onions - 300 grams (4 medium), very finely chopped
- Tomato - 1 medium, finely chopped
- Green chilies - 50 grams (1/2 cup), chopped
- Garlic - 3 cloves
- Salt - to taste
- Turmeric - ⅛ tsp
- Suhana Shahi Garam Masala - ⅛ tsp
- Byadgi red chili powder - 1 tbsp
- Coriander leaves - 2 tbsp, finely chopped
- Sunflower oil - ½ cup
- Chop up the onions and tomato very finely. Combine them in a bowl and let them stand for an hour.
- Combine the green chilies and garlic in the grinder and grind them until all the garlic is smooth. The chilies will remains slightly coarse.
- Heat the oil in a pan. Toss in the onions and tomato mixture. Sauté for 2-3 minutes until the moisture is almost gone. Do not let the onions change color or become very soft. They should have a bite.
- Next, add ½ tbsp of the ground green chilies and garlic mixture. Reserve the rest for serving on the side. Sauté until the raw smell of garlic gone.
- Add the salt, byadgi red chili, turmeric powder, Suhana Shahi Garam Masala, and 1 tbsp coriander leaves. Sauté for a minute.
- Turn the heat off. Break the eggs directly into the pan. Mix well.
- Turn the heat back on to low and continue to cook the eggs while stirring constantly.
- Occasionally take the pan off the heat and keep stirring. Bring the pan back on the heat.
- Continue to do so until the eggs come together. Some oil will separate too.
- Add the remaining 1 tbsp coriander leaves and give it a final mix.
- Egg bhurji is ready. Serve hot with toasted buns or pav and the crushed green chilies & garlic.
Egg Bhurji Recipe with Step by Step Pictures Below
These are the ingredients for the street-style egg bhurji recipe. Chop up 4 medium onions (300 grams) and 1 medium tomato very finely. Combine them in a bowl and let them stand for an hour.
Combine the 1/2 cup chopped green chilies and 3 cloves of garlic in the grinder.
Grind them until all the garlic is smooth. The chilies will remain slightly coarse.
Heat 1/2 cup sunflower oil in a pan. Toss in the onions and tomato mixture. Sauté for 2-3 minutes until the moisture is almost gone. Do not let the onions change color or become very soft. They should have a bite.
Next, add 1/2 tbsp of the ground green chilies and garlic mixture. Reserve the rest for serving on the side. Sauté until the raw smell of garlic gone.
Add the salt to taste, 1 tbsp byadgi red chili powder, 1/8 tsp turmeric powder, 1/8 tsp Suhana Shahi Garam Masala, and 1 tbsp finely chopped coriander leaves. Sauté for a minute.
Turn the heat off. Break 8 eggs directly into the pan. Mix well.
Turn the heat back on to low and continue to cook the eggs while stirring constantly.
Occasionally take the pan off the heat and keep stirring. Bring the pan back on the heat.
Continue to do so until the eggs come together. Some oil will separate too. Add the remaining 1 tbsp coriander leaves and give it a final mix.
Egg bhurji recipe is ready. Serve hot with toasted buns or pav and the crushed green chilies & garlic.