Chicken tikka masala recipe with step by step pictures – authentic Indian style chicken curry made with spicy grilled chicken and veggies simmered in a rich sauce.
Britain’s most favorite dish, the Chicken Tikka Masala is a classic curry that has been mesmerizing the foodies across the world with its magical flavors. An Indian curry with its origin still unclear is a matter of debate between the Indians and the British. Even though it is Britain’s national dish, the combination of its ingredients is totally Indian.
While the two nations fight over the worthy dish that Chicken Tikka Masala is, let’s enjoy the really good, authentic Indian version. This chicken tikka masala recipe (चिकन टिक्का मसाला रेसिपी) is spicy, with just the right amount of smokiness from the chicken and vegetables grilled over the hot coals.
I have had some amazing chicken tikka masala at the dhabas during my trip to Punjab. At one place, I couldn’t resist but compliment the owner of the dhaba for their lovely food. He was kind enough to share the ingredients that went into making the chicken tikka masala sauce.
I already knew how to make authentic chicken tikkas at home in my tandoor. After a few trials in my kitchen using the rough recipe shared by the owner of the dhaba, I was able to perfect the chicken tikka masala sauce as well. I was good to go! My excitement knew no bounds. After trying the same recipe thrice, I got the same results. Hence, now I am sharing the best chicken tikka masala recipe with you.
chicken tikka masala v/s butter chicken
Both chicken tikka masala and butter chicken are Punjabi recipes. Both of them have chicken that has been grilled in the tandoor, the traditional clay oven. However, chicken tikka masala recipe has bite-size pieces of boneless chicken. Butter chicken has tandoori chicken, which is chicken on the bone. The marinate of tandoori chicken is hotter than that of the chicken tikka. The chicken tikka masala sauce has onion, tomato, cashews, and the leftover yogurt marinade. Butter chicken has a velvety smooth, buttery, tomato based gravy, which is slightly sweet.
So there you have it, the difference between chicken tikka masala and butter chicken.
Serving Suggestions for Chicken Tikka Masala Recipe
Chicken tikka masala tastes best with naan. At home, we like to have it with lachha paratha. Recently, I served chicken tikka masala over the bed of white basmati rice and I was amazed how superb it tasted. So there are three things that definitely pair well with chicken tikka masala.
Here is the link to the recipe of chicken tikka kebabs with step by step pictures – How to Make Restaurant-Style Dry Chicken Tikka.
Here are some more Indian chicken curry recipe that you might like.
Now let’s see how to make chicken tikka masala gravy.
how to make authentic indian chicken tikka masala recipe
- Oil - 2 tbsp
- Bay leaves - 2 small
- Cinnamon - 1-inch stick
- Cloves - 4
- Green cardamom - 4
- Black cardamom - 1
- Cumin seeds - 1 tsp
- Onion - 2 medium, finely chopped
- Tomato - 2 medium, blanched, peeled, and chopped
- Ginger & garlic paste - 2 tbsp, freshly ground
- Coriander powder - ½ tbsp
- Red chili powder - 1 tbsp or to taste
- Turmeric - ¼ tsp
- Salt - to taste
- Cashew paste - 6 tbsp
- Leftover yogurt marinade of chicken tikka - ¼ cup
- Water - ¾ cup
- Homemade cream - 2 tbsp
- Garam masala - ¼ tsp
- Green chilies - 3, split lengthwise
- Coriander leaves - 2 tbsp, finely chopped
- Lemon juice - 1 tsp or to taste
- Chicken tikka kebabs - 400 grams (recipe here)
- To prepare the chicken tikka masala sauce, start off by heating the oil in a skillet. Toss in the whole spices; bay leaves, cinnamon, green cardamom, black cardamom, cloves, and cumin seeds.
- Add the onions and sauté till it turns golden.
- Now add the freshly ground ginger-garlic paste and sauté until the raw smell disappears.
- Add the tomatoes that have been blanched, peeled, and chopped. Season with some salt and mix. Cover the skillet and cook on low heat until the tomatoes soften and oil begins to separate.
- Now add the spices; red chili powder, turmeric powder, and coriander powder. Mix.
- Add the ¼ cup leftover yogurt marinade and mix.
- Pour in the cashew paste and cook until the oil separates again.
- Then add water and bring it to a boil.
- Add the chicken tikka kebabs along with the grilled vegetables. Give it a quick stir.
- Finish it up by adding homemade cream, garam masala, green chilies, coriander leaves, and lemon juice. Mix.
- Chicken tikka masala is ready. Serve it hot with parathas and rice. Enjoy!
chicken tikka masala recipe with step by step pictures
Gather the ingredients for the chicken tikka masala recipe.
You will also need 400 grams of chicken tikka along with the grilled capsicums, onions, and tomatoes. Recipe here.
To prepare the chicken tikka masala sauce, start off by heating 2 tbsp oil in a skillet. Toss in the whole spices; 2 small bay leaves, 1-inch cinnamon stick, 4 green cardamom, 1 black cardamom, 4 cloves, and 1 tsp cumin seeds.
Add 3 medium finely chopped onions and sauté till they turn golden.
Now add 2 tbsp freshly ground ginger-garlic paste and sauté until the raw smell disappears.
Add 3 medium tomatoes that have been blanched, peeled, and chopped. Season with some salt and mix. Cover the skillet and cook on low heat until the tomatoes soften and oil begins to separate.
Now add the spices; 1 tbsp or to taste red chili powder, 1/4 tsp turmeric powder, and 1/2 tbsp coriander powder. Mix.
Add the 1/4 cup leftover yogurt marinade and mix.
Pour in 6 tbsp cashew paste and cook until the oil separates again.
Then add 3/4 cup water and bring it to a boil.
The gravy should thicken a bit and look like this.
Add the chicken tikka kebabs along with the grilled vegetables. I have cut the chicken into smaller pieces. Give it a quick stir.
Add 2 tbsp homemade cream, 1/4 tsp garam masala, and 3 green chilies split lengthwise.
Finish it up by adding 2 tbsp coriander leaves, and 1 tsp lemon juice. Mix.
Chicken tikka masala recipe is ready.
Serve the spicy chicken tikka masala hot with parathas and rice. Enjoy!