bhindi ki sabji recipe | how to make bhindi sabji with peanuts | bhindi ki sabji banane ka tarika
Bhindi is a much loved vegetable. Even kids who are picky eaters love bhindi. Bhindi is known as okra as well as lady’s finger in English. In Marathi, it is known as bhendi.
Bhindi has a very good natural flavor and taste, which is why even simple bhindi recipes taste really delicious. There are so may ways you can cook bhindi. You can fry, saute , or stir-fry the bhindi and each one of it would make you hungry. Bhindi is a perfect side dish for chapathi and dal rice combo.
how to prepare bhindi ki sabji
This bhindi ki sabji (भिंडी की सब्जी) is made using peanut powder. Rest of the ingredients are pretty basic too. The bhindi is slit into quarters and stir fried with some garlic until it’s done. It is then seasoned with red chili powder and salt. The peanuts or groundnuts are roasted, peeled, and ground to a coarse powder. Adding some roasted besan or gram flour to the peanuts helps them stick to the fried bhindi. The mixture is then added to the bhindi and sauteed for a couple of minutes.
This is a Maharashtrian recipe for bhindi ki sabji. Although, the Andhra style bhindi recipe also calls for peanuts, the tempering or tadka is very different. It has mustard seeds, urad dal and curry leaves.
I have used byadgi red chili, which is mildly hot. It is not only bright in color but also very flavorful. If you don’t have it, add the regular red chili to taste.
more bhindi recipes
Now let’s see how to make bhindi ki sabzi.
how to make bhindi ki sabji
- Bhindi/Okra - 600 grams, rinsed & wiped dry
- Groundnut oil - 3 tbsp
- Garlic - 15 medium-sized cloves, halved
- Turmeric powder - ½ tsp
- Salt - to taste
- Byadgi red chili powder - 2 tsp (or 1 tsp regular red chili)
- Roasted besan / chickpea flour - 1 tbsp
- Coarsely ground roasted groundnuts - ¼ cup
- Cut the head and tail of the bhindi.
- Slit it lengthwise into half, and then again into quarters. (Check step by step pictures)
- Heat groundnut oil in a kadhai or pan. Add in the garlic and saute it until golden.
- Add turmeric powder and give it a quick stir.
- Toss in the bhindi.
- Give it a stir. Continue to cook on medium heat stirring often.
- Cook until the bhindi is tender.
- Add salt. Mix. Saute for a couple of minutes until the bhindi is cooked but not mushy.
- In the meanwhile, combine roasted besan/chickpea flour and ground peanut in a bowl.
- Add the roasted besan/chickpea flour and ground peanut mixture, and the byadgi red chili to the bhindi.
- Mix and saute for another 2 minutes.
- Bhindi ki sabzi with peanuts is ready. Serve it hot with roti or dal rice. Enjoy.
bhindi ki sabji recipe with step by step pictures below
To make bhindi ki sabji, first of all rinse and wipe dry 600 grams of bhindi/okra. Cut the head and tail of the bhindi.
Slit the bhindi lengthwise into half.
Then slit it again into quarters.
Cut all the bhindi like this.
Heat 3 tbsp groundnut oil in a kadhai or pan. Add in 15 medium sized cloves of garlic.
Saute the garlic until golden.
Add 1/2 tsp turmeric powder and give it a quick stir.
Toss in the bhindi.
Give it a stir. Continue to cook on medium heat stirring often.
Cook until the bhindi is tender.
Add salt to taste. Mix. Saute for a couple of minutes until the bhindi is cooked but not mushy.
In the meanwhile, take 1 tbsp roasted besan/chickpea flour in a bowl.
Add 1/4 cup coarsely ground peanuts to it.
Mix together the besan and peanuts.
Add the roasted besan/chickpea flour and ground peanut mixture, and 2 tsp byadgi red chili to the bhindi.
Mix and saute for another 2 minutes.
Bhindi ki sabzi with peanuts is ready. Serve it hot with roti or dal rice. Enjoy.