Weekends are a great opportunity to unwind with your family. Having an elaborate brunch is not always feasible. Who wants to slog in the kitchen for hours on a lovely Sunday morning when you could be having quality family time? You could watch a movie or play board games with your loved ones. A great fix for such leisurely days is this aloo tikki sandwich recipe. Involving your kids makes it furthermore fun. Get your little minions to assemble the sandwiches.
Aloo Tikki Sandwich Recipe – An Epitome of Fusion & Contrast
Aloo Tikki Sandwich is very healthy and very easy to prepare. It consists of potato patties, tandoori spread, and coleslaw. It’s a fusion sandwich that features the tastes of Indian and Continental cuisines. The coleslaw is known to have originated in the Netherlands, while the other elements such as the tandoori spread and the patties are flavored with Indian masalas. The best part is both tandoori spread and coleslaw are made with yogurt and not mayonnaise. Make sure the coleslaw is chilled. The crunch of cabbage and carrots complements the crust and softness of the patties. Besides, the cold and hot create an interesting contrast of temperatures, which by the way feels very pleasant. The tandoori spread is very rich, tangy, and piquant. It has characteristic flavors of the marinade that is used to make tandoori chicken, only a bit milder.
The potato patty, also known as aloo tikki or batata chap, is my Mom’s recipe that I have relished since childhood. For a 4-year-old, it was astonishing that I could finish off the 5-6 patties at ones. They are so addictive!It basically belongs to the Sindhi cuisine. The shallow-fried version tastes way better than the deep-fried ones. I have made these patties on iron griddle/tawa. They have a nice crust with a soft inside.They look very beautiful along the sides. The hues of lavender and green from onions and cilantro are lovely to look at. The flavors are very simple and mild. When you are making this sandwich recipe for kids, you can skip the green chilies in the potato patty.
Toasting the Bread, Not the Sandwich
When you make sandwiches with coleslaw, toasting the sandwich would cause it to disintegrate and become soppy. So lightly toast the bread first, and butter it properly. Then proceed to stuff the sandwich.
Make Subs or Burgers
Let’s see how to make the aloo tikki recipe that you can have as is or make sandwiches like I did. If you have burger buns, this recipe will yield 4 big patties. The aloo tikki burgers look extremely irresistible. You could also make subs with the same elements.
How to Make Aloo Tikki Sandwich Recipe
- Hung curd/Greek yogurt – ½ cup (not sour)
- Honey – 1 tbsp
- Green chili – 2
- Garlic – 3 cloves
- Cilantro/Coriander leaves – 2 tbsp
- Byadgi mirch – ½ tsp (See notes)
- Red chili flakes –½ tsp
- Cumin powder –½ tsp
- Chaat masala - ½ tsp
- Garam masala – ¼ tsp
- Fenugreek seeds powder – a pinch
- Lemon juice – ½ tbsp
- Salt – to taste
- Boiled potatoes – 4 medium
- Cornstarch – 2 tbsp (See notes)
- Onion – 1 medium, finely chopped
- Green chilies – 3, finely chopped
- Cilantro/Coriander leaves – 4 tbsp
- Punjabi garam masala – ½ tsp
- Salt – to taste
- Oil – for shallow frying
- Hot potato patties
- Bread slices
- Butter – to spread on the bread
- Coleslaw – chilled, as needed (recipe here)
- Tandoori spread – chilled, as needed
- To make the aloo tikki sandwich, start off by preparing the tandoori spread. Coarsely grind together the cilantro/coriander leaves, green chili, and garlic.
- Add hung curd, honey,lemon juice, byadgi mirch, red chili flakes, cumin powder, chaat masala, garam masala, fenugreek seeds powder, and salt. Blitz it for a few seconds.
- Tandoori yogurt spread is ready. Take it out on a bowl and cover it with cling wrap or just a lid and pop it in the fridge.
- Let’s prepare the patty now. Mash the potatoes and add onion, green chilies, cilantro/coriander leaves, garam masala, and salt. Mix well.
- Add cornstarch and mix it patty mix with alight hand.
- Divide the patty mix into 8 parts and shape them like round patties.
- Heat an iron griddle/tawa and smear it with a tablespoon of oil. Carefully place the patties on the hot tawa and let them cook on medium heat.
- When the underside changes color and develops a crust, flip the patties and continue to cook them till the other side is done too.
- Remove the patties onto a plate and keep the sandwich ingredients ready at hand.
- Lightly toast and butter the bread. Apply a thick layer of tandoori spread on one slice.
- Place two patties over it. Then add a big spoonful of coleslaw. Pack the sandwich with the other bread.
- Aloo tikki sandwich recipe with coleslaw is ready. Serve immediately. Enjoy!
2. Byadgi mirch is a variety of dried red chili that is medium-hot but very flavorful. It’s easily available at grocery stores and you can grind them at home. Otherwise, you may use Degi mirch or Kashmiri mirch. However, the taste would differ slightly.
Aloo Tikki Sandwich Recipe with Step by Step Pictures Below
Start by preparing the tandoori spread for the sandwich. These are the ingredients – ½ cup hung curd or Greek yogurt, 1 tbsp honey, 1/2 tbsp lemon juice, 2 green chilies, 3 cloves of garlic, 2 tbsp cilantro/coriander leaves, ½ tsp byadgi mirch, ½ tsp red chili flakes, ½ tsp cumin powder, ½ tsp chat masala, ¼ tsp garam masala, and a pinch of fenugreek seeds powder.
Coarsely grind together the cilantro/coriander leaves, green chili, and garlic.
Add hung curd, honey,lemon juice, byadgi mirch, red chili flakes, cumin powder, chaat masala, garam masala, fenugreek seeds powder, and salt.
Blitz it for a few seconds.
Tandoori yogurt spread is ready. Take it out on a bowl and cover it with cling wrap or just a lid and pop it in the fridge.
Let’s prepare the patty now. These are the ingredients for the patty. 4 medium-sized boiled potatoes, 2 tbsp cornstarch, 1 medium onion finely chopped, 3 green chilies finely chopped, 4 tbsp cilantro/coriander leaves finely chopped, ½ tso Punjabi garam masala, and salt to taste. Also, we would need some oil for shallow frying the patties.
First of all, mash the potatoes and add onion, green chilies, cilantro/coriander leaves, garam masala, and salt. Mix well.
Add cornstarch and mix it patty mix with a light hand.
The patty mix should look like this; easy to handle.
Divide the patty mix into 8 parts and shape them like round patties. (I saved 4 patties for later)
Heat an iron griddle/tawa and smear it with a tablespoon of oil. Carefully place the patties on the hot tawa and let them cook on medium heat.
When the underside changes color and develops a crust, flip the patties and continue to cook them till the other side is done too.
Remove the patties onto a plate and keep the sandwich ingredients ready at hand; some bread slices, butter, coleslaw, and tandoori spread.
Lightly toast and butter the bread.
Apply a thick layer of tandoori spread on one slice.
Place two patties over it.
Then add a big spoonful of coleslaw. Be generous.
Pack the sandwich with the other bread.
Aloo tikki sandwich recipe with coleslaw is ready. Serve immediately. Enjoy!