vegetable noodles recipe | easy veg noodles recipe with step by step pictures – healthy and tasty Chinese style noodles with the goodness of vegetables and bean sprouts.
Takeaway Chinese food is an absolute boon when you are working long hours and have not an ounce of energy nor the motivation to cook dinner. The Chinese restaurants are saviors of not only for the hungry belly but also the taste-buds craving for some action. In my college days, I used to get Chinese food pretty often.
When I say Chinese, I am talking about the desi Chinese or the Indo-Chinese. Veg noodles used to be one of my favorites at the time; mainly because it was so filling. If you think about it, veg noodle recipe is very healthy too if the ingredients are right. I like mine with lots of vegetables, and some bean sprouts.
how to make veg noodles at home
The one I am sharing today is inspired by my countless rendezvous with this delightful one-bowl meal in the past as I sat at the dinner table finishing my assignments. It is packed with nutrients and gratifies the cravings for zesty food like nothing else.
This Chinese style noodles dish is made by stir-frying the vegetables, adding Chinese sauces to them and then tossing in the boiled noodles. It is made with a broth as a base and the quintessential condiments such as soy sauce, red chili sauce, and vinegar.
Rice vinegar adds a nice touch to the overall flavor profile and the black bean sauce does a great job at enhancing the umaminess of this dish. If you do not have rice vinegar, go for the regular white vinegar and adjust its quantity accordingly because it is very sour. Follow the remaining instructions as is and I promise you will have the most incredible, best noodles recipe from stove to table within minutes.
choosing the noodles for making vegetable noodles recipe
There are mainly two types of noodles in India that are easily available in the market; egg noodles and veg noodles. Cooking noodles to perfection could be a challenge if they are not good quality. So try to find good quality noodles for the best results. Since I wanted to make this recipe completely vegetarian, I have used vegetarian noodles.
tips for cooking noodles perfectly
The perfectly cooked noodles are soft but not mushy. When you boil the noodles, cook them until they are 90 percent cooked. The noodles should still have a bite. That makes it easy to handle the noodles and they get completely cooked once you toss them with the veggies and sauces.
Once the noodles are boiled, strain them and refresh them with plenty of cold water. Some people like to drizzle some oil over the noodles so that they won’t clump up. I prefer soaking them in a bowl of cold water. Both methods work fine.
more indo chinese recipes
If you are looking for more indo chinese recipes, then do check chicken fried rice recipe, chilli chicken recipe, schezwan chicken recipe, and chicken lollipop recipe. For vegetarian indo chinese recipes check out the, soya chilli recipe, idli manchurian recipe and gobi manchurian recipe.
Now let’s see how to make vegetable noodles recipe at home with step wise instructions and photos.
how to make veg noodles recipe
- Noodles – 150 grams
- Water – 6 cups, to boil
- Cold Water – 6 cups
- Salt – 2 tsp
- Dark soy sauce – 1 tbsp
- Red chili sauce – 1 tbsp
- Rice vinegar – 1 tbsp (or ½ tbsp regular white vinegar)
- Black Bean & Garlic Sauce – ¾ tsp
- Vegetable Stock – ¼ cup
- Sugar – 1 tsp
- Cornstarch – ½ tsp
- Onion – 1 medium, sliced
- Garlic – 2 tbsp, minced
- Ginger – ½ tbsp, minced
- Capsicum – 1 medium, sliced
- Red bell pepper – 1 medium, julienned
- Yellow bell pepper – 1 medium, julienned
- Carrot – 1 medium, julienned
- Mushrooms – 8, finely sliced
- Bean sprouts – a handful
- Spring onion whites – 5, roughly sliced
- Spring onion greens – 5, finely sliced
- Sesame seeds – for garnish
- Oil – 4 tbsp
- Salt – to taste
- Black pepper – ¾ tsp
- First of all, we need to cook the noodles. Bring water to a boil and add noodles to it. Boil them till they are slightly undone, about 90 percent cooked.
- Strain the noodles and refresh them under running cold water.
- Fill up a bowl of cold water and immerse the noodles in it till you are ready to use them.
- Prepare the noodle sauce by combining vegetable stock, dark soy sauce, black bean and garlic sauce, rice vinegar, red chili sauce, sugar, and cornstarch. Keep aside.
- Heat oil in a wok or a skillet till the smoking point. Toss in the the onion and stir-fry for a few seconds. Add the ginger and garlic and stir-fry for another few seconds.
- Next, add the carrots, spring onion whites, and mushrooms. Stir-fry for a minute till the mushrooms get some color.
- Add the capsicum. Stir fry the vegetables for a few seconds.
- Pour in the noodle sauce and stir. Check the salt and add some if need be.
- Drain the noodles well and toss them in along with black pepper. Toss well as you stir-fry the noodles.
- Add the bean sprouts, spring onion greens, yellow and red bell peppers. Toss again.
- Veg noodles recipe is ready. Serve hot as is or with your favorite side.Garnish with sesame seeds and some spring onion greens. Enjoy!
vegetable noodles recipe with step by step pictures
Gather the ingredients for veg noodles recipe.
Bring 6 cups of water to a boil and add 150 grams of noodles to it. Boil them till they are slightly undone; about 90 percent cooked.
Strain the noodles and refresh them under running cold water.
Fill up a bowl with 6 cups of cold water and immerse the noodles in it till you are ready to use them.
Prepare the noodle sauce by combining 1/4 cup vegetable stock, 1 tbsp dark soy sauce, 3/4 tsp black bean and garlic sauce, 1/2 tbsp rice vinegar, 1 tbsp red chili sauce, 1 tsp sugar, and 1/2 tsp cornstarch. Keep aside.
Heat 4 tbsp oil in a wok or a skillet till the smoking point. Add 1 medium sliced onion and stir-fry for a few seconds. Add 1/2 tbsp minced ginger and 2 tbsp minced garlic and stir-fry for another few seconds.
Add 1 medium julienned carrot, 5 roughly chopped spring onion whites, and 10 sliced mushrooms. Stir-fry for a minute till the mushrooms get some color.
Add 1 medium sliced capsicum and stir-fry for a few seconds.
Pour in the lo main sauce and stir. Check the salt and add some if need be.
Drain the noodles well and toss them in along with 3/4 tsp black pepper. Toss well.
Add a handful of bean sprouts, 5 finely chopped spring onion greens, 1 medium sliced yellow bell pepper, and 1 medium sliced red bell pepper. Toss again as you stir-fry the noodles.
Veg noodles recipe is ready. Remove it in the serving bowls.
Garnish with sesame seeds and some spring onion greens. Serve Chinese style veg noodles hot as is or with your favorite side, Enjoy!