restaurant style veg fried rice recipe with step by step pictures | chinese veg fried rice recipe | how to make vegetable fried rice
Veg fried rice is a delicious and a very flavourful rice recipe. One of most basic Indo-Chinese preparations, it is very easy recipe to put together too. If you love desi chinese, I am pretty sure you would have ordered this rice dish at your favorite restaurant countless number of times. The taste of the veg fried rice varies from one restaurant to another. I have had my fair share of them too. But there is one recipe that stuck with me all these years, which I am sharing here today.
I have tried to keep this veg fried rice very simple. The flavours are quite subtle yet extremely enjoyable. I have skipped the ingredients like red chili powder and garam masala which many restaurants add to their veg fried rice, which makes it hot and spicy. This veg fried rice recipe is nothing like that. Even kids can enjoy it. Besides, it is brimming with the goodness of fresh vegetables, so it is a complete meal in itself. I sometimes make paneer chili or soya chili on the side with vegetable fried rice, but usually I serve it on its own.
sauces of indo-chinese cooking
The sauces used in indo-chinese are a very important part of the recipes. The sauces can make or break a recipe. I am very particular about using high-quality sauces because they make a world of difference. I am talking about the soy sauce, chili sauce, vinegar, mirin, etc. I steer clear from the local brands that are very popular just because of the aggressive ad campaigns. So here i am listing the brands that I personally love and can vouch for.
- Lee Kum Kee for both Light Soy Sauce and Dark Soy Sauce
- Lee Kum Kee also has a fantastic Red Chili Sauce. I am using Del Monte’s red chili sauce this time though, which is pretty good. Same for the green chili sauce; Del Monte’s
- I have used Sakura Rice Vinegar
- Enso is a good brand for Rice Wine or Mirin
You can find them on Amazon or at any high-end supermarket. They are a little expensive but a worthy investment if you want to experience quality flavours and unmatched taste. Besides, they go a long way and stay fresh for months in the refrigerator.
substitutes for mirin and rice vinegar
It’s quite understandable that not all of us can find mirin and rice vinegar. You may use substitutes. The taste will obviously be not 100% the same but still pretty good. For this recipe, you may use 1/2 tsp sugar instead of 1/2 tbsp of mirin. For 1 tbsp rice vinegar, you may use 1 tsp – 1 & 1/2 tsp regular white vinegar.
tips for making the perfect veg fried rice
Now let’s discuss a few tips to get perfect results every time you make vegetable fried rice. It depends a lot on the kind pf rice you are using and your cooking techniques.
- Firstly, use old or aged rice. Aged rice when cooked always has it’s grains separated.
- Do not pressure-cook the rice. Always cook white rice in a pot when you want to make fried rice with them.
- Add 1-2 tsp of oil to the rice while cooking it.
- Once the white rice is cooked, spread it out on a wide plate of baking sheet to cook off so that it won’t form a giant lump in the pot as it cools.
- While making fried rice, keep the heat on high at all times. Try to cook in a big wok. I have used kadhai this time since my wok was unavailable. An aluminum kadhai works okay too.
veggies for vegetable fried rice
Carrots, cabbage, capsicum, french beans, and green peas are the commonly used veggies for the chinese veg fried rice recipe. Make sure you buy the orange carrots, also known as English carrots to make this recipe. Since it’s winters, red carrots is what’s available in the markets right now. So I used those instead. They are a good substitute for orange carrots for this time of the year, but rest of time try to use orange carrots.
You may add mushrooms, brocolli or babycorn if you like. They also taste great in veg fried rice. So basically, it is up to you what veggies you have at hand or like to eat. Be creative! Whatever you use, do not overcook the veggies. They should have a fresh color and a crunch to them.
how to make veg fried rice recipe
- Cooked rice - 2 & ½ cups
- Oil - 2 tbsp
- Spring onion whites - ½ cup, finely chopped
- Ginger - ½ tbsp, minced
- Capsicum - ¼ cup, finely chopped
- English carrot / orange carrot - ¼ cup, finely chopped
- French beans - ¼ cup, finely chopped
- Frozen peas / boiled fresh peas - ¼ cup, finely chopped
- Cabbage - ½ cup, finely chopped
- Green chilies - 2, slit lengthwise
- Spring onion greens - ¼ cup, finely chopped
- Light soy sauce - 2 tbsp
- Red chili sauce - ½ tbsp
- Green chili sauce - ½ tbsp
- Rice vinegar - 1 tbsp (or ½ tbsp white vinegar)
- Mirin (Rice wine) - ½ tbsp (or ½ tsp sugar)
- Salt - to taste
- Black pepper - ¼ tsp, coarsely ground
- MSG - ¼ tsp (OPTIONAL)
- To make the veg fried rice, cook white rice with some oil and salt to taste. Once done, spread them onto a plate to cool off. Use aged rice so that each grain will be separate.
- In a kadhai or a wok, heat oil. Add in the spring onion whites and saute for a few seconds.
- Add in the minced ginger and continue to saute for a few seconds.
- Next, add in all the vegetables; peas, carrot, cabbage, french beans, and capsicum. Saute for a minute on high flame.
- The veggies should still be crunchy. Do not overcook them. When the veggies are just tender, add in the soy sauce, red chili sauce, green chili sauce, rice vinegar (or white vinegar), and mirin (or replace mirin with sugar).
- Add the slit green chilies, salt, black pepper, and MSG (Optional).
- Give it a mix. Keep the flame high at all times.
- Add in the rice and toss well with the veggies.
- Once the rice is heated through nicely, tip in the spring onion greens and give it a final mix. Restaurant style veg fried rice recipe is ready.
- Serve the Chinese style veg fried rice hot as is or with your favorite side dish. Enjoy!
veg fried rice recipe with step by step pictures below
To make the veg fried rice, cook white rice with some oil and salt to taste. Once done, spread them onto a plate to cool off. Use aged rice so that each grain will be separate. I cooked 1 cup of raw rice and now I have here 2 & 1/2 cups of cooked rice.
In a kadhai or a wok, heat 2 tbsp oil. Add in 1/2 cup chopped spring onion whites and saute for a few seconds.
Add in 1/2 tbsp minced ginger and continue to saute for a few seconds.
Next, add in all the finely chopped vegetables; 1/4 cup carrot, 1/2 cup cabbage, 1/4 cup french beans, and 1/4 cup capsicum. Also add 1/4 cup frozen peas (or fresh boiled peas). Saute for a minute on high flame.
When the veggies are tender, add in 2 tbsp light soy sauce.
Add 1 tbsp rice vinegar. If you do not have rice vinegar, you may add 1/2 tbsp regular white vinegar.
Add 1/2 mirin (Japanese rice wine) for sweetness. If you do not have mirin, you may add 1/2 tsp sugar.
Add 1/2 tbsp red chili sauce.
Add 1/2 tbsp green chili sauce.
Add a little bit of salt to taste.
Add 1/4 tsp MSG/ajinomoto (Optional).
Add 3 slit green chilies and 1/4 tsp black pepper. Give it a mix. Keep the flame high at all times.
Give it a mix. The veggies should still be crunchy. Do not overcook them.
Add in the cooked rice and toss well with the veggies.
Once the rice is heated through nicely, tip in 1/4 cup finely chopped spring onion greens and give it a final mix. Restaurant style veg fried rice recipe is ready.
Serve the Chinese style veg fried rice hot as is or with your favorite side dish. Enjoy!