turai ki sabzi | tori recipe | how to make ridge gourd curry | shirali bhaji recipe
Turai or tori is one of the most underrated vegetable in the Indian cuisine. The bland taste and neutral flavor of turai is the reason a lot of people dislike it. I have always loved vegetables, including turai and I have a couple of really simple yet delicious turai recipes. This one is a Maharashtrian style turai ki sabzi and has a light broth or rassa.
Tori vegetable in English is known as ridge gourd, because of the ridges it has on its outer skin. Tori is called dodaka (दोडका) in Marathi. Some people also call it shirali (शिराळी) in Marathi.
turai for weight loss
Turai is an excellent vegetable for weight loss. It has a lot of water, Vitamin C, iron, fiber both soluble and insoluble. Besides, turai is low in calories. Preparing turai in less oil will give you a healthy recipe. I have used minimal oil and just a couple of tablespoons of roasted peanut powder to thicken the gravy, making it a very healthy, weight loss recipe.
turai ki sabzi ingredients
The ingredients of making turai ki sabzi are very basic, something that you will find readily in an Indian kitchen. It has onions, tomatoes, garlic, chilies and fresh coriander. For ground spices, the recipe calls for just turmeric, red chili, and garam masala. To thicken the broth, the roasted groundnut powder works perfectly. It also lends a nutty flavor to the curry.
more vegetable recipes
If you are looking for similar recipes that are simple, homely, healthy, and ideal for everyday cooking, check out the tinde tamatar recipe, kobichi bhaji recipe, tomato chutney recipe, mixed sprouts curry, french beans sabzi, and gobi ki sabzi.
how to make turai ki sabzi
- Ridge gourd / turai / shirali - 500 grams, peeled and chopped into small pieces
- Onion - ¾ cup, finely chopped
- Tomato - 1 cup, finely chopped
- Garlic - 10 medium-sized cloves - finely crushed
- Coriander leaves - a handful, finely chopped
- Peanut oil - 2 tbsp
- Cumin seeds - 1 tsp
- Turmeric powder - ¼ tsp
- Byadgi red chili - ½ tbsp
- Garam masala (I used Suhana brand) - ¼ tsp
- Salt - to taste
- Hot water - 1 & ½ cup
- Roasted peanut powder - 2 tbsp
- To make turai ki sabzi, heat peanut oil in a skillet. Add the cumin seeds and let them sizzle.
- Toss in the onions and saute until golden.
- Add in the crushed garlic and saute until the raw smell is gone.
- Toss in the tomatoes and add some salt. Cook until the tomatoes are mushy.
- When the oil separates, add the turmeric and byadgi red chili. Saute for a minute.
- Next, add the ridge gourd/turai/shirali. Mix well. Cover and cook on low flame until tender. The turai should still have a crunch and not be completely mushy.
- Pour in hot water and bring the curry to a boil.
- Then add the powder of roasted peanuts.
- Mix well. Cover and let it simmer for 5 minutes.
- Finally, garish the turai ki sabzi with garam masala and a handful of fresh coriander leaves. Mix well and simmer for one more minute.
- Tori recipe is ready. Serve it hot with roti and rice. Enjoy!
tori recipe with step by step pictures below
To make turai ki sabzi, 2 tbsp heat peanut oil in a skillet. Add 1 tsp cumin seeds and let them sizzle.
Toss in the 3/4 cup finely chopped onion and saute until golden.
Crush 10 medium-sized cloves of garlic using the mortar and pestle. Add it to the onions and saute until the raw smell is gone.
Toss in 1 cup finely chopped tomatoes and add some salt to taste. Cook until the tomatoes are mushy.
When the oil separates, add 1/4 tsp turmeric and 1/2 tbsp byadgi red chili. Saute for a minute.
Next, add 500 grams of ridge gourd/turai/shirali, which has been peeled and chopped to 1 cm pieces. Mix well. Cover and cook on low flame until tender.
The turai should still have a crunch and not be completely mushy.
Pour in 1 & 1/2 cup hot water and bring the curry to a boil.
Then add 2 tbsp powder of roasted peanuts. Mix well. Cover and let it simmer for 5 minutes.
Finally, garish the turai ki sabzi with 1/4 tsp garam masala (I used Suhana brand), and a handful of fresh coriander leaves. Mix well and simmer for one more minute.
Tori recipe is ready.
Serve tori ki sabzi hot with roti and rice. Enjoy!