soya chunks biryani with step by step pictures | soya biryani recipe | soya rice recipe
Soya chunks, also known as meal maker is great source of protein for the vegetarians. It is delicious substitute for meat when making biryani given it’s meaty texture and fuller taste. Soya chunks absorb the flavors of the masala really well. The soya biryani recipe (सोया बिरयानी रेसिपी) is not a one pot preparation but it is worth your effort and time. The soya chunks biryani is cooked on dum like biryani. There are two layers; soya masala and rice. It not only makes the soya chunks biryani taste great but also look pleasing to the eyes.
how to cook soya chunks
Before you add soya chunks to any dish, soak them in hot water for about 15 minutes. Next, drain them and rinse them under running water to get rid of the raw smell. Squeeze the soya chunks really well. Soya chunks can now be added to any curry or biryani.
Soya chunks double up in size upon soaking. The chunks might not seem a lot initially but once they are cooked, they become huge. So use the soya chunks wisely in your recipes.
The brand of soya chunks that I have used is Ruchi’s Nutrela. The quality is consistent, the soya chunks are hygienically handled and packed, and always fresher than the ones that you buy lose from the grocery store.
cooking the soya rice on dum
The reason I have cooked the soya rice on dum is that the grains of rice will definitely stay separated. You will get different colors of rice, white and yellow once you mix the biryani a bit, which looks very appealing. The dum method of cooking ensures that the aroma stays locked in during the cooking process.
how to prepare soya chunks biryani
So I have prepared the soya masala separately in a wide pressure cooker. You can use a heavy-base, wide pan or handi. I have not pressure cooked the soya rice. I have used the pressure cooker simply because it has a wide base.
The rice and peas along with the whole spices in a seprate kadhai until the rice was 80% cooked. The rice and peas are then strained and spread over the layer of soya masala. The utensil containing the soya biryani is then covered with a tight-fitting lid. The soya biryani is cooked on low flame for 10 minutes or until done. This is what the dum method of cooking means.
serving suggestions for the soya chunks biryani
Like any other biryani or pulao, soya biryani tastes great with raita. I personally love it with just some onion slices and lemon wedges on the side. You may serve the soya biryani with plain curd if you like.
If you are looking for more of delicious pulao recipes, biryanis, fried rice, or khichdi recipes, check out my rice recipes compilation – best rice recipes with steap by step pictures
Now let’s see how to make this quick and easy meal maker biryani.
how to make soya biryani recipe
- Basmati rice - 1 & ½ cups, soaked for 20 minutes, then drained
- Fresh green peas - ¾ cup
- Water - 4 cups
- Salt - 2 tsp or to taste
- Ghee - ½ tbsp
- Green cardamoms - 4
- Black cardamoms - 1
- Black peppercorns - 8
- Cloves - 2
- Bay leaves - 2
- Star anise - 1
- Cinnamon stick - ½ inch
- Caraway seeds / shahi jeera - ½ tsp
- Soya chunks - 75 grams
- Boiling hot water - to soak the soya chunks
- Ghee - 3 tbsp
- Onion - 1 large, thinly sliced
- Tomato - 1 medium, chopped
- Garlic - 10 medium-sized, finely crushed
- Ginger - 1 inch peice, finely crushed
- Green chilies - 2, slit
- Coriander leaves - a handful, finely chopped
- Boiled soya chunks
- Salt - to taste
- Turmeric - ¼ tsp
- Byadgi red chili powder - 2 tsp
- Coriander powder - 2 tsp
- Pulao masala - 2 tsp
- Garam masala - a pinch
- Water - ½ cup or as needed
- To make soya rice, start off by cooking the soy chunks. Take sufficient water in a pot and bring it to a boil. Add in the soya chunks and turn off the heat.
- Let the soya chunks soak for 15 minutes.
- Then drain the soya chunks, rinse them under running water, and squeeze the water out of them nicely. Keep aside.
- To make the soya masala, heat ghee in a heavy bottom, deep pot or handi. Add in the onion and saute until golden.
- Add in the ginger and garlic. Saute until the raw smell goes away.
- Toss in the tomatoes and add some salt as well. Cook until the tomatoes soften.
- When the ghee begins to separate, add the ground spices; turmeric, byadgi red chili, coriander and pulao masala. Mix.
- Add the boiled soya chunks and saute them with the spices for 2-3 minutes, Sprinkle water every now and then to prevent the soya chunks and the spices from burning. Cover and cook on low flame for 6-7 minutes so that the soya chunks soften.
- In the meanwhile, prepare the rice. Combine water, ghee, salt, and whole spices in a pot or kadhai. Bring it to a boil.
- Add in the basmati rice and green peas. Cook until the rice is about 80% cooked.
- Come back to the soya chunks. When they soften, add the green chilies and garam masala. Mix.
- Garnish the soya masala with the coriander leaves.
- Drain the rice and peas with a slotted spoon.
- Add it to the soya masala in a single layer.
- Now cover the biryani pot with a tight-fitting lid.
- Cook the soya biryani for low heat for about 10-12 minutes or until the rice is done.
- Turn the heat off. Let the soya chunks biryani rest for 10 mins. Then uncover the biryani pot.
- Give the soya chunks biryani a gentle mix.
- Soya chunks and matar biryani recipe is ready. Serve it hot with sliced onions and lemon wedges or raita. Enjoy!
soya biryani recipe with step by step pictures below
To make soya rice, start off by cooking the soya chunks. Take sufficient water in a pot and bring it to a boil. Add in 75 grams of soya chunks and turn off the heat.
Let the soya chunks soak for 15 minutes.
Then drain the soya chunks, rinse them under running water, and squeeze the water out of them nicely. Keep aside.
To make the soya masala, heat 3 tbsp ghee in a heavy bottom, deep pot or handi. Add in 1 large, finely sliced onion and saute until golden.
Add in 1-inch piece of ginger and 10 medium-sized cloves of garlic, both finely crushed. Saute until the raw smell goes away.
Toss in 1 medium tomato, chopped, and add some salt as well. Cook until the tomatoes soften.
When the ghee begins to separate, add the ground spices; 1/4 tsp turmeric, 2 tsp byadgi red chili, 2 tsp coriander and 2 tsp pulao masala. Mix.
Add the boiled soya chunks and saute them with the spices for 2-3 minutes, Sprinkle water every now and then to prevent the soya chunks and the spices from burning. Cover and cook on low flame for 6-7 minutes so that the soya chunks soften.
In the meanwhile, prepare the rice. Combine 4 cups of water, 1/2 tbsp ghee, and 2 tsp salt (or to taste) in a pot or kadhai. Also add the whole spices; 1 black cardamom, 4 green cardamoms, 2 bay leaves, 2 cloves, 8 black peppercorns, 1 star anise, 1/2 inch cinnamon, 1/2 tsp caraway seeds (shahi jeera). Bring it to a boil.
Add in & 1/2 cup basmati rice and 3/4 cup fresh green peas. The rice had been rinsed, soaked for 20 minutes, then drained.
Cook until the rice is about 80% cooked.
Come back to the soya chunks. When they soften, add 2 slit green chilies and a pinch of garam masala for fragrance. Mix.
Garnish the soya masala with ahandful of chopped coriander leaves.
Drain the rice and peas with a slotted spoon.
Add the rice to the soya masala.
Form a single layer of rice like this.
Now cover the biryani pot with a tight-fitting lid. Cook the soya biryani for low heat for about 10-12 minutes or until the rice is done. Turn the heat off.
Let the soya bean biryani rest for 10 mins. Then uncover the biryani pot. Give the soya bean biryani a gentle mix.
Soya chunks and matar biryani recipe is ready. Serve it hot with sliced onions and lemon wedges or raita. Enjoy!