Black eyed beans, also known as cow peas are a very tasty variety of beans. Also called as lobia or chawli in Hindi, it has its own characteristic flavor that becomes even better when you make Indian-style curry with it using the typical Indian spices. This black eyed peas recipe is a crowd pleaser. It might be a humble dish, but incredibly flavorful. Take my word when I say that this is the best lobia curry ever! You can make this Punjabi style lobia curry when you have your vegetarian friends over for lunch and they would love it. Those who are calorie conscious can have this chawli ki sabji with whole wheat rotis or jowar/bajra rotis. Personally, I feel that it tastes best with plain white rice.
My secret to a delicious black eyed beans curry
Now there is a tiny trick in making this black eyed beans recipe curry so delicious. I have used Homemade Chole Masala that is used to make chickpeas. It gives such an amazing taste and aroma to the lobia masala that is beyond compare! The lobia gravy has such a wonderful fullness from the crushed beans. Whenever you make any kind of beans curry, crush some boiled beans and add them back to the curry and let it simmer. The gravy will thicken slightly and have a nice consistency and texture.
You can check out the recipes for Homemade Chole Masala and Punjabi Chole by clicking on the links down below.
How to Make Punjabi-Style Lobia Curry
- Black-eyed peas – 1 cup, soaked overnight
- Onion – 1 medium, finely chopped
- Tomato - 1 medium, finely chopped
- Green chilies – 3, chopped
- Garlic – 8 cloves, finely crushed
- Ginger – ½ inch piece, finely crushed
- Cumin seeds – ¾ tsp
- Turmeric powder – ½ tsp
- Kashmiri red chili powder – 1 tsp
- Coriander powder – 1 tsp
- Chole Masala – 1 tbsp (Recipe here)
- Garam Masala – ⅓ tsp
- Kasoori Methi – 1 tsp, roasted and crushed
- Salt – to taste
- Coriander leaves – 2 tbsp, finely chopped
- Oil – 3 tbsp
- Water – 1 and ½ cup
- Prep the ingredients.
- For preparing the black-eyed beans or lobia, wash them, rinse them and soak them in enough water overnight. Drain the lobia when ready to cook the lobia curry.
- Heat oil in a pressure cooker. Add cumin seeds and allow them to crackle.
- Add the onion and sauté it till it turns golden.
- Add the green chilies, garlic, and ginger. Sauté till the raw smell goes away.
- Add the tomato and cook till it turns soft and the oil begins to separate.
- Add the spices; turmeric powder, Kashmiri red chili powder, coriander powder, chole masala, and garam masala. Mix well and sauté for a few seconds.
- Add the black-eyed peas or lobia and cook it well along with the spices for 6-7 minutes. Sprinkle some water when the mixture gets dry.
- The oil separates again.
- Add water and salt. Pressure cook for 2-3 whistles till the black-eyed beans are done.
- When the pressure gets released, open the cooker. Take 3-4 tbsp of beans in a bowl and mash them. It will thicken the curry.
- Add the mashed beans back to the cooker along with kasoori methi. Bring the curry to a boil and let it simmer for a couple of minutes.
- Finish the lobia curry by adding chopped coriander leaves.
- Lobia curry is ready. Serve hot with white rice and a lemon wedge. Enjoy!
Black Eyed Beans Curry | Lobia Recipe with Step by Step Pictures Below
Prepare the ingredients for the recipe
Wash, rinse and soak 1 cup black-eyed beans or lobia, in enough water overnight. Drain the lobia when ready to cook the lobia curry.
Heat 3 tbsp oil in a pressure cooker. Add 3/4 tsp cumin seeds and allow them to crackle.
Add finely chopped 1 medium onion and sauté them till it turns golden.
Add 3 chopped green chilies, 8 cloves of finely crushed garlic, and 1/2 inch of finely crushed ginger. Sauté till the raw smell goes away.
Add finely chopped 1 medium tomato and cook till it turns soft and the oil begins to separate.
Add the spices; 1/2 tsp turmeric powder, 1 tsp Kashmiri red chili powder, 1 tsp coriander powder, 1 tbsp chole masala, and 1/3 tsp garam masala. Mix well and sauté for a few seconds.
Add the soaked black-eyed peas or lobia and cook it well along with the spices for 6-7 minutes. Sprinkle some water when the mixture gets dry.
cook till the oil separates again.
Add 1 and 1/2 cup water and salt to taste. Pressure cook for 2-3 whistles till the black-eyed beans are done.
When the pressure gets released, open the cooker. Take out 3-4 tbsp of beans in a bowl and mash them. It will thicken the curry.
Add the mashed beans back to the cooker along with 1 tsp kasoori methi. Bring the curry to a boil and let it simmer for a couple of minutes.
complete the lobia curry recipe by adding 2 tbsp chopped coriander leaves.
Lobia curry is ready. Serve hot with white rice and a lemon wedge. Enjoy!