Pudina Chicken Curry | Murgh Pudina Recipe | Mint Chicken Curry
The variety of chicken curries in the Indian cuisine is truly baffling. Each state of the country has a unique and special way to cook chicken curries, each one of them being mouthwatering and tempting. I have shared a few chicken curry recipes up until now. This is a new addition to the list – Pudina Chicken Recipe (पुदीना चिकन रेसिपी).
The Pudina Chicken recipe is very light, fresh, and different from the usual chicken curries in terms of texture and flavor profile. The method of cooking doesn’t involve sauteing any onions, ginger or garlic as you would usually expect when preparing Indian chicken curries. Instead the chicken is boiled with the tomatoes, ginger-garlic, and whole spices. When the chicken is almost done, that’s when you add oil and ground spices and saute the chicken well. Adding crispy fried onions and mint in the end lends the pudina chicken gravy its ultimate taste and flavor.
The pudina chicken gravy is fairly thick. You can serve it up with rotis. If like me you absolutely love the chicken curry and rice combo, this pudina chicken curry tastes great with rice too. Here are some more Indian chicken curry recipe that you might like.
- Dhaba-Style Punjabi Chicken Recipe
- Sindhi Bhugal Chicken / Chicken Bhuna Recipe
- Indian Chicken Curry / Basic Chicken Curry Recipe
Let’s take a look at the mint chicken curry ingredients and preparation.
How to Make Pudina Chicken Curry
- Chicken on bone - 600 to 700 grams
- Water - 2 cups
- Salt - 2 tbsp
- Sugar - 1 tbsp
- Oil - 3 tbsp
- Birista/Fried onions - 1 & ¼ cup
- Mint leaves - 1 & ¼ cup, tightly packed
- Tomato - ¾ cup, finely chopped
- Water - 1 & ½ cup or as needed
- Black cardamoms - 2 big
- Cinnamon - 2-inch stick
- Garlic - 1 tbsp
- Ginger - 1 tbsp
- Green chilies - 4, split lengthwise
- Coriander powder - 1 tsp
- Cumin powder - ¾ tsp
- Byadgi red chili powder - 1 tbsp
- Regular/Tikhalal chilli powder - 1 tsp
- Turmeric - ¼ tsp
- Garam masala - ¼ tsp
- Salt - to taste, if needed
- To make pudina chicken recipe, start off by brining the chicken. Combine the salt, sugar, and water. Mix well until the salt and sugar dissolve.
- Add in the chicken and make sure it's submerge in the brine water. Pop it in the fridge for 5-6 hours.
- Then drain the chicken and discard the brine.
- To make the mint chicken curry, heat a skillet/kadhai. Combine water, tomatoes, ginger, garlic, black cardamoms, and cinnamon stick. Adjust the amount of water depending on how long your chicken takes to cook.
- Add the chicken to it. Bring the curry to a boil.
- Let the chicken boil on medium heat until it's 80% cooked and the water has reduced to half.
- Then add the ground spices; byadgi red chili, tikhalal red chili, turmeric, cumin, coriander, and garam masala. Give it a mix.
- Add oil and half the green chilies. Roast the chicken well with the spices. It will become more fragrant.
- When the oil separates and the chicken is cooked, add the remaining green chilies, birista/crushed fried onions, and torn mint leaves. Mix.
- Cover and cook on low heat for 5 minutes.
- Mint chicken curry is ready. Serve hot with rotis or rice. Enjoy!
Pudina Chicken Recipe with Step by Step Pictures Below
To make pudina chicken curry, we need to brine the chicken. Bringing makes the chicken juicier and tenderer.
Combine 2 cup of water, 1 tbsp sugar, and 2 tbsp salt in a bowl. Stir until the sugar and salt dissolve.
Add in the chicken and make sure it’s submerged in the brine water. Pop it in the fridge for 5-6 hours.
Then drain the chicken and discard the brine.
Gather the ingredients needed to prepare pudina chicken gravy.
To make the mint chicken curry, heat a skillet/kadhai. Combine 1 & 1/2 cup water, 3/4 cup tomatoes, 1 tbsp crushed ginger, 1 tbsp crushed garlic, 2 big black cardamoms, and 2-inch cinnamon stick. Adjust the amount of water depending on how long your chicken takes to cook.
Add the 600 to 700 grams chicken on bone to it. Bring the curry to a boil.
Let the chicken boil on medium heat until it’s 80% cooked and the water has reduced to half.
Then add the ground spices; 1 tbsp byadgi red chili, 1 tsp tikhalal red chili, 1/4 tsp turmeric, 3/4 tsp cumin, 1 tsp coriander, and 1/4 tsp garam masala. Give it a mix.
Add 3 tbsp oil and 2 green chilies split lengthwise. Roast the chicken well with the spices. It will become more fragrant.
It should look like this. Chicken completely cooked and oil separated. The onions have combined with the broth to form a thick gravy.
When the oil separates and the chicken is cooked, add the remaining 2 green chilies, 1 & 1/4 cup birista/crushed fried onions, and 1 & 1/4 cup lightly packed mint leaves. Tear them with hand while adding it to the curry. Mix. See if you need to add salt to the gravy, may be just a pinch since the chicken is seasoned from the brine.
Cover and cook on low heat for 5 minutes.
Pudina chicken recipe is ready. Serve hot with rotis or rice. Enjoy!