matki usal recipe | how to make dry matki chi usal
Matki usal recipe (मटकी उसळ रेसिपी) – A Maharashtrian preparation made with sprouted moth beans, onions, and the most basic spices. It can be had on its own or served as a side dish for chapathi. Matki usal tastes great with sadi toor dal khichdi.
Matki is a bean that is called moth beans in English. Matki has a distinct taste and flavour of its own. Sprouting the matki it accentuates its taste, flavour, as well as the nutritional value.
Matki chi usal (मटकी ची उसळ) is a dry preparation. It has a sweetish taste from the onions and a mild heat from the green chilies. Matki usal tastes better and cooks much faster in a pan because they are soaked for hours and then sprouted. Besides, sprouted matki is very healthy. It is a very rich source of protein and minerals. So the matki usal recipe for vegetarians to include in their diet.
how to choose matki or moth beans?
While buying matki, make sure you get the one with a smaller grain. It is the heirloom variety, also known as ‘gavthi’ or ‘gavrani’, meaning it is not the hybrid variety. The grains of matki of hybrid variety are larger. They often have an off-putting smell after being cooked. The heirloom variety of matki or any beans or pulses is going to be tastier, more flavourful, and nutritionally better as well.
easy recipe for tiffin or lunchbox
When it comes to preparing tiffin or lunchbox, we are striving to find a balance between taste and nourishment. Besides, the recipe should be quick and easy, and need minimal preparation. So add this matki usal recipe to your menu once in a while. It checks all the boxes – tasty, healthy, and easy to make.
Don’t forget to have some dahi/curd, onion, and lemon wedge on the side. It takes the taste of matki chi usal up a notch.
making matki usal recipe in a pan
I have tried cooking dry matki usal with little water in a pressure cooker. The taste and texture varies a lot. It is a bit bland and mushy. But if you cook dry matki usal in a pan, it will turn out perfect.
The pan is covered with a lid. Pouring some water on the lid facilitates faster and more efficient cooking, and keeps the moisture trapped inside the pan. The lid is comparatively cool because of the water on it. So the steam inside the pan gets condensed into water, which falls back into the food. So you don’t have to worry about the matki getting burned.
Just add a splash of water before covering the pan, and stir the matki chi usal once every 6-7 minutes. Also, cook the matki chi usal on a very low flame.
how to make sprouted matki
If you want to know how to make sprouts with matki, check out this post about making sprouted mixed beans at home. The procedure is the same for individual varieties of beans as well.
If you are looking for easy, practical, yet delicious recipes for everyday cooking, check out my collection of best Maharashtrian recipes. All the recipes have step by step pictures.
For now let’s see how to make dry sprouted matki recipe.
how to make matki usal recipe
- Oil - 3 tbsp
- Cumin seeds - 1 tsp
- Green chilies - 2 to 3, finely chopped
- Onions - 3 medium, finely chopped
- Turmeric - ½ tsp
- Sprouted matki / moth bean sprouts - 4 cups
- Water - as needed
- Coriander leaves - for garnish, finely chopped
- Heat oil in a wide pan. Add in the cumin seeds and let them sizzle.
- Then add in the green chilies and saute for a few minutes.
- Toss in the onions and saute until they turn golden.
- Add turmeric. Saute for a few seconds so that the raw smell of the turmeric goes away.
- Next, add the sprouted moth beans.
- Mix well. Add a splash of water.
- Turn the heat to low. Cover the pan with a lid. Pour some water on the lid. Cook the matki usal for 15-20 minutes or until it's cooked.
- Uncover the pan after 6-7 minutes and give the matki usal a stir. If it looks too dry, add a splash of water. Replenish the water on the pan when it dries up.
- When the matki usal is cooked though, the oil will begin to separate. Add salt. Mix and saute for a minute.
- Garnish with coriander leaves. Give it a final stir.
- Matki usal recipe is ready. Serve it up with chapathi, lemon, onions, and dahi.
matki chi usal recipe with step by step pictures
Heat 3 tbsp oil in a wide pan. Add in 1 tsp cumin seeds and let them sizzle. Then add 2-3 finely chopped green chilies and saute for a few minutes.
Toss in 3 medium onions, finely chopped, and saute until they turn golden.
Add 1/2 tsp turmeric.
Saute for a few seconds so that the raw smell of the turmeric goes away.
Next, add 4 cups of sprouted matki.
Mix well. Add a splash of water.
Turn the heat to low. Cover the pan with a lid. Pour some water on the lid. Cook the matki usal for 15-20 minutes or until it’s cooked. Uncover the pan after every 6-7 minutes and give the matki usal a stir. If it looks too dry, add a splash of water. Replenish the water on the pan when it dries up.
When the matki usal is cooked though, the oil will begin to separate. Add salt. Mix and saute for a minute.
Garnish with coriander leaves. Give it a final stir.
Matki usal recipe is ready. Serve it up with chapathi, lemon, onions, and dahi.