maharashtrian kadhi recipe with step by step pictures | white kadhi recipe | taakachi kadhi recipe
Kadhi is an important part of the traditional Maharashtrian meal. Often served with masala khichdi, thalipeeth, and bhakri, the kadhi recipe (कढ़ी रेसिपी) is an easy dish to prepare. It is a white kadhi because it is made without turmeric. The maharashtrian kadhi is made with buttermilk or taak, which is why some people call it taakachi kadhi (ताकाची कढ़ी).
The kadhi has earthy flavours of hing/asafeoetida and curry leaves. The ginger and garlic give it a subtle sharpness. Overall, it is a very well-balanced recipe. Consistency wise, the kadhi can be thin like a broth or a bit thicker than that. It’s up to your preference.
serving suggestions for maharashtrian kadhi recipe
Kadhi is a must when we have masala khichdi for dinner. The kadhi-khichdi combo is popular for a reason. The kadhi is very soothing and balances the heat from the masala khichdi. Also, the slightly sweet and sour notes compliment the spiciness of this khichdi recipe to the max. Furthermore, the entire meal is easy on your tummy, thanks to the generous dash of asafoetida in the kadhi. You can find the recipe for masala khichdi here – spicy masala khichdi recipe.
White kadhi is a delicious accompaniment for bhajani thalipeeth (savoury multigrain flatbread). When making kadhi for plain bajri chi bhakri (sorghum flatbread), you can add pakodas to it. These are without a doubt one of the best soul food recipes I have had the opportunity to enjoy and learn to cook. So, now I am passing it on to you.
Let’s begin with the recipe of maharashtrian style kadhi recipe.
how to make maharashtrian kadhi recipe
- Besan/Chickpea flour – 1 tbsp
- Curd – ¼ cup, slightly sour
- Water – 2 cups
- Salt – to taste
- Sugar – ¾ tsp
- Groundnut oil – 1 tbsp
- Cumin seeds – ½ tsp
- Mustard seeds – ½ tsp
- Asafetida / Hing - ¼ tsp
- Curry leaves – 10 to 12
- Ginger – ¼-inch, finely crushed
- Garlic – 5 small cloves, chopped
- Green chilies – 1, finely chopped
- Cilantro / Coriander leaves – 1 tbsp
- To make the maharashtrian kadhi recipe, whisk curd in a bowl and add besan/chickpea flour to it. Whisk well and make sure there are no lumps.
- Add salt and sugar at this point. Then gradually add water and whisk well.
- Heat groundnut oil in a saucepot and add the mustard seeds. Once they pop, add the cumin seeds and let them sizzle. Next, add the asafetida/hing and it will sizzle too.
- Add the chopped garlic, finely crushed ginger, and chopped green chili and sauté until fragrant.
- Add the curry leaves and sauté till it gives out a nice aroma.
- Carefully add the curd-chickpea flour mixture. Stir continuously.
- Continue to stir in one direction till the kadhi comes to a boil.
- Let it simmer for 2 minutes as you stir it. Turn the flame off and garnish with fresh cilantro/coriander leaves.
- Maharashtrian kadhi recipe is ready. Serve it with Khandeshi masala khichdi and some papad and mango pickle. Enjoy!
maharashtrian kadhi recipe with step by step pictures below
Prepare the ingredients for the kadhi recipe.
Whisk ¼ cup curd in a bowl and add 1 tbsp besan/chickpea flour to it. Whisk well and make sure there are no lumps.
Add salt to taste and ¾ tsp sugar.
Then gradually add 2 cups of water and whisk well.
Heat 1 tbsp groundnut oil in a saucepot and add ½ tsp mustard seeds. Once they pop, add ½ tsp cumin seeds and let them sizzle. Next, add ¼ tsp asafetida/hing and it will sizzle too.
Chop 5 small cloves of garlic, finely crushed a ¼-inch piece of ginger, and chop 1 green chili. Add them all in and sauté until fragrant.
Add 10-12 curry leaves and sauté till it gives out a nice aroma.
Carefully add the curd-chickpea flour mixture. Stir continuously.
Continue to stir in one direction till the kadhi comes to a boil.Let it simmer for 2 minutes as you stir it.
Finally, turn the flame off and garnish with 1 tbsp of fresh cilantro/coriander leaves.
Maharashtrian kadhi recipe is ready. Serve it with khandeshi masala khichdi and some papad and mango pickle. Enjoy!