Khichdi is one of the best comfort foods of the Indian cuisine and the variety is baffling to say the least. It can be spicy, plain and simple, with or without vegetables; all the khichdi recipes taste equally delicious. The green moong dal khichdi recipe (हरी मूंग दाल की खिचड़ी) is healthy and quick to make. I have made this green moong dal khichdi with aged basmati rice, which is why each grain is separate and the khichdi turns out very fragrant. This is a Sindhi style green moong dal khichdi recipe that I have grown up relishing very often.
You can give plain white rice a break and serve the green moong dal khichdi instead. It goes exceptionally well with vegetable curries. The aroma of ghee and whole spices make it an irresistible choice for enjoying the side dishes with. For whole spices, the recipe calls for only black peppercorns and green cardamom, which is why it has such a rich flavour yet no spiciness to it. You can adjust the amount of green cardamom and peppercorns to your liking; however, the quantity given is this recipe is ideal for most people.
I have previosly shared the recipe of spicy Maharashtrian khichdi, you can check it out here. Another khichdi recipe made with fresh coconut and whole green mung beans is a complete meal in itself; you can check it out here. Now let’s take a look at the green moong dal khichdi recipe with step by step photos.
How to Make Moong Dal Khichdi Recipe
- Basmati rice - 1 cup, soaked along with the dal for 30 mins & drained
- Split green moong dal/Chilkewali hari moong dal - ¼ cup
- Ghee - 1 & ½ tbsp
- Black peppercorns - 6
- Green cardamoms - 4
- Cumin seeds - ½ tbsp
- Salt - to taste
- Coriander leaves - 2 tbsp, finely chopped
- Hot water - 3 cups or as needed depending on the rice
- Heat ghee is a pan or a skillet. Toss in the cumin seeds, green cardamoms, and black peppercorns and saute for a few seconds.
- Add in the drained rice and dal. Saute for a minute. Mix carefully so the rice grains won't break.
- Add hot water and salt. Bring it to a boil.
- Continue to cook on medium-high heat until the rice is 80% cooked and you can see holes beginning to develop on the top.
- Turn the heat to low and cover the pan/skillet. Let the khichdi cook in the remaining water for the next 8-10 minutes.
- Switch off the heat and let the khichdi stand for 10 minutes.
- Then take the lid off and add chopped coriander leaves and gently fluff the rice with the back of the spoon.
- Green moong dal khichdi recipe is ready. Serve hot with your favorite vegetable curry. Enjoy!
Green Moong Dal Khichdi Recipe with Step by Step Pictures Below
Gather the ingredients for the green moong dal khichdi recipe. Soak together 1 cup basmati rice and 1/4 cup split green moong lentil (chilke wali moong dal) for 30 minutes.
Heat 1 & 1/2 tbsp ghee is a pan or a skillet. Toss in 1/2 tbsp cumin seeds, 4 green cardamoms, and 6 black peppercorns and saute for a few seconds.
Add in the drained rice and dal.
Saute the rice and dal with the spices for a minute. Mix carefully so the rice grains won’t break.
Add 3 cups of hot water and salt. Bring it to a boil. Adjust the quantity of water depending on the rice that you are using. Some varieties of rice absorb more water while others don’t.
Continue to cook on medium-high heat until the rice is 80% cooked and you can see holes beginning to develop on the top.
Switch off the heat and let the khichdi stand for 10 minutes. Then take the lid off and add 2 tbsp chopped coriander leaves.
Gently fluff the rice with the back of the spoon.
Green moong dal khichdi recipe is ready. Serve hot with your favorite curry. Enjoy!