Are you in the mood for some chicken curry on rice but don’t have time to make an elaborate one? There are a very few simple chicken recipes that actually taste as magnificent as the lavish ones. The Sindhi style chicken bhuna recipe is definitely one of them. I have grown up relishing chicken bhuna with steaming hot basmati rice, and it still remains my favorite after so many years. It is one of the best chicken dishes you will ever come across and that isn’t a matter of opinion. Empirical, it is a divinely delicious chicken curry recipe. Let me explain to you what makes this chicken bhuna recipe so unique.
There are two very important things that set the chicken bhuna recipe apart. First, it’s the quantity of the onions used, which is equal to the weight of the chicken. I know, those are a lot of onions. Secondly, it’s the lengthy the roasting process. Roasting means bhunna (भूनना) in Hindi. It means sauteing the chicken for a long time along with the spices. The slow cooking makes the flavors go deep within the chicken. The onions vanish to form a delicious, flavorful gravy. You get a desirable sweetness from the caramelized onions, which is a characteristic of this chicken bhuna recipe.
Choosing the Chicken Portions for the Chicken Bhuna Recipe
Using whole chicken is always better than any particular portions. Always use chicken on the bone to make this chicken bhuna to get the best taste. I prefer whole chicken sans breast. Wings, thighs, and other bony portions work just perfectly.
Now let’s take a look at the best chicken bhuna recipe, that’s so quick and easy to make at the same time.
Here are more chicken recipes from my collection.
- Hyderabadi Chicken Dum Biryani Recipe
- Dhaba-Style Chicken curry Recipe
- Chicken Salad Sandwich with Grapes
- Restaurant-Style Dry Chili Chicken Recipe
- Restaurant-Style Dry Szechuan Chicken Recipe
- One-Pot Chicken Pulao Recipe
- Chicken Tikka Recipe
- Chicken Tikka Masala Recipe – Authentic Indian Recipe
- Lebanese Chicken Pizza Recipe Made with Naan
- Pudina Chicken Curry
How to Make Chicken Bhuna
- Chicken – 500 grams
- Onions – 500 grams, finely chopped
- Tomatoes – 1 medium, finely chopped
- Ginger – 1 & ½-inch piece
- Garlic – 15 cloves, medium-sized
- Green chilies – 3
- Coriander leaves – a handful, finely chopped
- Salt – to taste
- Oil – ⅓ cup
- Water – 2 cups or as needed
- Cumin seeds – ½ tbsp
- Cloves – 4
- Cinnamon – 2-inch stick
- Bay leaves – 2
- Black peppercorns – 6
- Green cardamom – 3
- Black cardamom – 1
- Byadgi red chili – 1 tbsp
- Guntur red chili – 2 tsp
- Turmeric – ½ tsp
- Coriander – ½ tbsp
- Garam masala – ¼ tsp + a pinch
- Combine ginger, garlic, cumin seeds, and cloves in a mortar and pestle. Crush them very finely.
- Heat the oil in a heavy bottom pot. Add the whole spices; bay leaves, cinnamon, green cardamom, black cardamom, and black peppercorns.
- When the spices sizzle, add the onions. Cook the onions on low-medium heat until they caramelize.
- Add the crushed ginger-garlic mixture. Sauté until the raw smell disappears.
- Add the chicken and sauté it till it turns white. Then cover the pot and cook for a few minutes so that the chicken releases its water.
- Then add the tomatoes, and green chilies. Cook until the tomato softens.
- Add salt, ground spices; byadgi red chili, Guntur red chili, turmeric, coriander, and garam masala.
- Turn the heat to medium-high and roast the chicken stirring it often. The water would evaporate, thechicken will get some color and oil will begin to separate.
- Add a tbsp of water and roast until it evaporates. Repeat the process about 5-6 times. The roasting process is very important and enhances the taste of the recipe.
- The onion gravy will cling on to the chicken while the oil separates.
- Add water depending on the doneness of the chicken. I needed about 1 & ¼ cups of water. Bring the curry to a boil.
- Continue to cook until the water evaporates, the gravy thickens to cling on to the chicken and the oil separates again. The chicken would be completely cooked.
- Add a handful of fresh coriander leaves and a sprinkle of garma masala for fragrance. Give it a gentle mix.
- Sindhi style chicken bhuna recipe is ready. Serve hot with rotis or rice. Enjoy!
Chicken Bhuna Recipe with Step by Step Pictures Below
Prepare the ingredients for the chicken bhuna recipe.
Clean and rinse 500 grams of chicken that has been cut into medium-sized pieces.
Combine 1 & 1/2-inch piece of ginger, 15 cloves of garlic, 1/2 tbsp cumin seeds, and 4 cloves in a mortar and pestle. Crush everything very finely.
Heat 1/3 cup oil in a heavy bottom pot. Add the whole spices; 2 bay leaves, 2-inch piece of cinnamon, 3 green cardamom, 1 black cardamom, and 6 black peppercorns.
When the spices sizzle, add 500 grams of chopped onions. Cook the onions on low-medium heat until they caramelize.
Add the crushed ginger-garlic mixture. Sauté until the raw smell disappears.
Add the chicken.
Sauté it till it turns white. Then cover the pot and cook for a few minutes so that the chicken releases moisture.
Then add the tomatoes, and green chilies. Roast the chicken until the tomato softens.
Add the salt to taste, ground spices; 1 tbsp byadgi red chili, 2 tsp Guntur red chili, 1/2 tsp turmeric, 1/2 tbsp coriander, and 1/4 tsp garam masala.
Turn the heat to medium-high and roast the chicken stirring it often. The water would evaporate, the chicken will get some color and oil will begin to separate.
Add 1-2 tbsp of water and roast until it evaporates. Repeat the process about 5-6 times. The roasting process is very important and enhances the taste of the recipe.
As you can see, the onion has turned into a thick gravy that clings onto the chicken. The chicken gives out a nice aroma because of roasting.
Add water depending on the doneness of the chicken. I needed about 1 & 1/4 cups of water since my chicken was 75% cooked. Bring the curry to a boil.
Continue to cook until the chicken is done, the water evaporates, and the gravy thickens to cling on to the chicken. The oil separates again as well.
Add a handful of fresh coriander leaves and a sprinkle of grama masala for fragrance. Give it a gentle mix. Chicken bhuna recipe is ready.
Serve hot with rotis or rice. Enjoy!