chicken 65 recipe with step by step pictures | hyderabadi chicken 65 recipe – a South Indian restaurant style boneless chicken starter recipe
Chicken 65 has always intrigued the foodies across the country due to it’s unique name. There are many stories about the origin of chicken 65 recipe try to explain the reason behind the choice of name. One being that the owner of the Buhari Hotel, Chennai introduced this delicious chicken starter to his customers in the year 1965. Other popular tale says that 65 chilies for per kilogram of chicken are used while preparing this dish, hence the name. Whatever the truth might be, chicken 65 is going to be as glorious as it has always been. Today I am sharing the restaurant-style chicken 65 recipe (चिकन 65 रेसिपी).
The hyderabadi chicken 65 recipe consists of chicken that has been fried using flour and yogurt batter. It is then stir-fried in a sauce that has both Indo-Chinese and Indian flavors. The sauce is hot to taste and fragrant from the curry leaves. This is a dry chicken 65 recipe that you get as an appetizer in restaurants, meaning there us just enough sauce to coat the fried chicken pieces.
The chicken 65 masala has a tempering of cumin and red chilies. Besides,the garnish of fried cashews brings in an excellent nuttiness and crunch.
variations of chicken 65 recipe
There are different variations of the chicken 65 recipe. Some recipes use egg in making the batter for frying the chicken. In that case, the chicken 65 tastes good only when served hot and fresh. That’s because the egg in the batter makes the chicken go soggy after some time. Also, the taste of the dish changes and there is a prominent unpleasant smell of egg to it. The vendors make street style chicken 65 recipe using egg in the batter. You can use egg if you planning to serving chicken 65 immediately.
Like I said, I have used curd in the batter for frying the chicken. The chicken remains crisp and there is no unpleasant smell even if it cools down. The chicken 65 continues to taste amazing even after a few hours.
The chicken 65 recipe is very simple and the ingredients are those that are ever present in your kitchen. Let’s see how to make restaurant style chicken 65.
For more Indian chicken recipes, check these out.
- Restaurant style chilli chicken recipe
- Restaurant style schezwan chicken recipe
- Chicken fried rice recipe
how to make restaurant style chicken 65
- Boneless chicken - 500 grams, cut into 1-inch pieces (Check the method for brining here)
- All-purpose flour/Maida - 2 tbsp
- Cornstarch - ¼ cup
- Yogurt - 6 tbsp, whisked
- Ginger-garlic - 1 tbsp, finely crushed or ground
- Salt - a pinch or two
- Black pepper - ½ tsp, freshly cracked
- Oil - 1 tbsp + for deep-frying
- Oil - 1 & ½ tbsp
- Cumin seeds - 1 tsp
- Whole dried red chilies - 4, cut into pieces
- Curry leaves - 15 leaves
- Green chilies - 6, slit
- Schezwan sauce - 3 tbsp (recipe here)
- Ketchup - 1 tbsp
- GInger - 1-inch piece, grated
- Garlic - 2 tbsp, minced
- Onion - ½ cup, diced
- Capsicum - ½ cup, diced
- Coriander leaves - 2 tbsp
- Salt - to taste
- MSG/Ajinomoto - 1 tsp
- Cashews - 15, halved, fried to golden
- To make dry chicken 65, start off by marinating the chicken with yogurt, ginger-garlic, black pepper, and oil. If you are not using brined chicken, add salt too.
- Mix well. Let the chicken rest in the fridge for an hour.
- After the chicken has rested, add the maida/all-purpose flour and cornstarch. Mix well.
- Heat enough oil in a skillet. Carefully drop the chicken pieces in the hot oil and fry them until golden and crunchy.
- Take the fried chicken out on the plate lined with paper towel. Fry the remaining chicken as well.
- Now to prepare the chicken 65 masala, heat 1 & ½ tbsp oil in a wok or skillet. Add cumin and let it sizzle. Then add red chilies and torn curry leaves. Saute until the curry leaves are crunchy and fragrant.
- Add the green chilies, ginger, and garlic. Saute for a minute on high flame stirring it often. Do not let the color of the garlic change.
- Next, toss in the onions and capsicum. Saute until the capsicum is tender but still has its crunch.
- Add salt, MSG/Ajinomoto, ketchup, and schezwan sauce. Give it a quick mix.
- Add the fried chicken pieces to the masala and toss well.
- Garnish the chicken with coriander leaves and cashews. Give it a final mix.
- Hyderabadi chicken 65 recipe is ready. Serve hot. Enjoy!
hyderabadi chicken 65 recipe with step by step pictures Below
Gather the ingredients to prepare the chicken for making Chicken 65 recipe.
Start off by marinating the 500 grams of boneless chicken (1-inch pieces) with 6 tbsp yogurt, 1 tbsp of freshly crushed/ground ginger-garlic, 1/1 tsp cracked black pepper, and 1 tbsp oil. If you are not using brined chicken, add salt too. To see how to brine boneless chicken, please click here.
Mix well. Let the chicken rest in the fridge for an hour.
After the chicken has rested, add 2 tbsp maida/all-purpose flour and 1/4 cup cornstarch.
Heat enough oil in a skillet. Carefully drop the chicken pieces in the hot oil.
Fry the chicken until it’s golden, crunchy and cooked through.
Take the fried chicken out on the plate lined with paper towel. Fry the remaining chicken as well.
Gather the ingredients for making the chicken 65 masala or the sauce.
Heat 1 & 1/2 tbsp oil in a wok or skillet. Add 1 tsp cumin and let it sizzle. Then add 4 red chilies cut up into small pieces and 15 curry leaves. Tear the curry leaves just before adding them in. Saute until the curry leaves are crunchy and fragrant.
Add 6 green chilies split lengthwise, 1-inch piece of ginger grated, and 2 tbsp minced garlic. Saute for a minute on high flame stirring it often. Do not let the color of the garlic change.
Next, toss in 1/2 cup diced onions and 1/2 cup diced capsicum. Saute until the capsicum is tender but still has its crunch.
Add salt to taste, 1 tsp MSG/Ajinomoto, 1 tbsp ketchup, and 3 tbsp schezwan sauce. Give it a quick mix.
Chicken 65 masala is ready.
Add the fried chicken pieces to the masala and toss well.
Garnish the chicken with 2 tbsp finely chopped coriander leaves and 15 cashews that have been halved and fried. Give it a final mix.
Hyderabadi chicken 65 recipe is ready.
Serve hot. Enjoy!