dhaba style aloo palak recipe| aloo palak gravy recipe | vegan potato and spinach curry
Dhaba style aloo palak recipe (आलू पालक रेसिपी) is a popular North Indian side dish. It is healthy recipe that combines the goodness of fresh spinach (palak) and heartiness of the potatoes (aloo). What makes this spinach potato recipe even healthier is that I have cooked in in a clay pot or a mitti ki handi.
Potatoes are everyone’s favorite. They pair really well with other vegetable and make a boring dish delicious and interesting. Potatoes can enhance the taste of any type of curry, be it vegetarian or non-vegetarian. So pairing potatoes with spinach is going to make it easy for you to include leafy greens in your family’s diet.
dhaba style aloo palak recipe
The potato and spinach curry is prepared in a very traditional manner. You will find this kind of potato and spinach curry in a dhabas which are truck-stops located along the highways of the country. All kinds of people travelling would make a pit-stop at the dhaba and enjoy their delicious, wholesome, and hearty food. The dhabas in the northern part of India derve Punjabi food and aloo palak is one of their specialties.
You will find spinach potato recipe being cooked in the villages of Punjab the same way; in clay pots. In addition, the folks would use wood fire to prepare all their meals. I have no words to describe the gorgeous aroma of the food cooked on a wood fire; it’s just so good. You need to experience it first hand to understand. Their aloo palak gravy would have an even better, full-bodied taste.
pounding the palak for making aloo palak recipe
Instead of chopping the spinach, I have pounded it coarsely in the mortar and pestle. The crushing brings out all the juices of the spinach. I had no idea palak could smell so tempting before I tried this technique. If you do not have a mortar and pestle, just chop the palak finely or grind it coarsely.
cooking the spinach potato curry in a clay pot
Cooking aloo palak in a clay pot will take a bit longer. The slow cooking will make the texture of the aloo palak gravy so velvety and juicy; something that you probably won’t get if you cook it in a regular kadhai. So try to invest in a good clay pot. They don’t cost much so you can give them a try.
vegan spinach potato recipe – a healthy alternative
Aloo palak curry is a healthy alternative to palak paneer. The aloo palak gravy is much lighter. I have used oil to prepare the potato and spinach curry, so it is completely vegan. If you are not particularly looking for a vegan recipe of aloo palak, you may use ghee.
serving suggestions for the potato spinach recipe
The potato spinach curry is served with naan and tandoori roti at the dhabas. It tastes spectacular with jeera rice. I personally love to have my aloo palak curry with makki ki roti (corn meal flatbread) slathered with oodles of ghee. Do try all these accompaniments with the aloo palak, they all taste so unique and divine.
how to make dhaba style aloo palak recipe
- Oil - ¼ cup
- Onion - 1 medium, finely chopped
- Tomato- 1 medium, finely chopped
- Ginger - 2 inches, minced
- Garlic - 20 medium cloves, minced
- Green chilies - 3, finely chopped
- Potatoes / Aloo - 2 or 3 medium, diced
- Spinach / Palak - 350 grams, picked and rinsed
- Water - ½ cup or as needed
- Salt - to taste
- Turmeric - ½ tsp
- Byadgi red chili powder - ½ tbsp (3/4 tsp regular red chili if you son't have byadgi)
- Round dried chilies - 6
- Cinnamon - a small piece
- Black peppercorns - 8
- Cloves - 1
- Cumin seeds - 1 tsp
- Coriander seeds - ½ tbsp, crushed
- To make aloo palak, start of by pounding the spinach leaves / palak to a coarse paste in a mortar and pestle in batches.
- Collect all the pounded spinach in a bowl. Set aside for later use.
- Now heat oil in a clay pot or handi.
- Add in the round dried green chilies. Saute for a few minutes until they puff up.
- Tip in the onions and fry them until golden.
- Add the ginger and garlic. Saute till the raw smell goes away.
- Toss in the tomatoes and some salt. Cook until the tomatoes are mushy and oil begins to separate.
- Toss in all the whole spices. Add the turmeric and red chili powder as well. Saute for a few seconds. Sprinkle some water to prevent the spices from burning.
- Add in the green chilies. Stir.
- Add the pounded spinach. Fry the spinach well with the spices, for about 5-6 minutes.
- Then tip in the potatoes and stir.
- Add water and stir. Adjust the salt at this stage.
- Cover the handi and cook the potato and spinach curry for about 15 minutes on low flame or until the potatoes are cooked. Open the lid and stir the aloo palak sabzi to prevent it from sticking to the bottom of the handi.
- Spinach potato recipe is ready. Serve hot with rice, chapathi, or even better, makki ki roti. Enjoy!
potato and spinach curry recipe with step by step pictures
To make aloo palak recipe, start of by pounding the palak/spinach leaves to a coarse paste in a mortar and pestle in batches.
Collect all the pounded spinach in a bowl. Set aside for later use.
Now heat 1/4 cup oil in a clay pot or handi. Add in the round dried green chilies. Saute for a few minutes until they puff up.
Tip in 1 medium onion, finely chopped and fry them until golden.
Add 20 medium sized cloves of garlic, minced.
Add the minced 2-inch piece of ginger too.
Saute till the raw smell goes away.
Toss in 1 medium tomato, finely chopped and some salt.
Cook until the tomatoes are mushy and oil begins to separate.
Toss in all the whole spices; 1 tsp cumin seeds, 1 cloves, 7 black peppercorns, a small piece of cinnamon, and 1/2 tbsp crushed coriander seeds.
Add 1/2 tsp turmeric and 1/2tbsp byadgi red chili powder. Saute for a few seconds. Sprinkle some water to prevent the spices from burning. If you o not have byadgi, use 3/4 tsp of regular red chili powder (or to taste).
Add in 3 finely chopped green chilies. Stir.
Add the pounded spinach.
Fry the spinach well with the spices, for about 5-6 minutes.
Then tip in 2-3 medium-sized potatoes, diced.
Add 1/2 cup water or as needed stir. Adjust the salt at this stage.
Cover the handi and cook the potato and spinach curry for about 15 minutes on low flame or until the potatoes are cooked. Open the lid and stir the aloo palak sabzi to prevent it from sticking to the bottom of the handi.
Aloo palak gravy is ready.
Serve the potato and spinach curry hot with rice, chapathi, or even better, makki ki roti. Enjoy!